Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wireless Power Transmission

Doctor

Jun 15, 2017
Good day to all.
I'm an electronic communication systems student. I am currently in the process of designing a wireless power transfer system. The problem i have faced is the simplicity in Tesla's coil theory. This has left me short in terms of required range in order for my project to be viable and applicable. Thus far I am toying with the notion of microwave transfer or the use of oscillators. To be honest I am a bit stumped on how to proceed. I am very open minded on what method may be best. In other words... PLEASE HELP.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Thus far I am toying with the notion of microwave transfer or the use of oscillators. To be honest I am a bit stumped on how to proceed. I am very open minded on what method may be best. In other words... PLEASE HELP

wireless power transfer ... power of any significant levels .... wont occur over distances of move than a few cm's or so
the losses are huge

I already, like 1000's of commercial users use microwave transmitters, for watts of transmitted power only microwatts of power is received at anything more than a metre or more away

And you CANNOT transmit 100's of watts of microwave power into the surrounds, as you will cook everybody and everything

in the words of Scotty from Star Trek

Ye canne break the laws of physics

Dave

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I like to reference the inverse square law for projects like this.

That being said, there is some interesting research being done for wirelessly providing power within a room by Disney. Transmit power if I recall right was a couple thousand watts, although I'm unsure if the room was populated with people when they did their capacity test.
Reference on YouTube here :

If you aren't using a cavity, and want a point-to-point, or point-to-multipoint then you've got a long way to go.

What kind of specifics for your project did you have in mind?

Doctor

Jun 15, 2017
I like to reference the inverse square law for projects like this.

That being said, there is some interesting research being done for wirelessly providing power within a room by Disney. Transmit power if I recall right was a couple thousand watts, although I'm unsure if the room was populated with people when they did their capacity test.
Reference on YouTube here :

If you aren't using a cavity, and want a point-to-point, or point-to-multipoint then you've got a long way to go.

What kind of specifics for your project did you have in mind?
Thanks, brilliant link. I was hoping for something small just a tad bit more efficient than the standard tesla coil wireless transfer. With the help of oscillators i reckon I could use resonance to increase my range a few more cms. My problem is the circuit I should use for a more effective oscillator. At this point I'm not trying to power heavy loads. But perhaps to illuminate a few LEDs

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Thanks, brilliant link. I was hoping for something small just a tad bit more efficient than the standard tesla coil wireless transfer. With the help of oscillators i reckon I could use resonance to increase my range a few more cms. My problem is the circuit I should use for a more effective oscillator. At this point I'm not trying to power heavy loads. But perhaps to illuminate a few LEDs

thanks for that clarification
I am pleased to see you are on the right track :)

Dave

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
What steps have you planned to screen your kit electro-magnetically, so that it won't act as a powerful interference source to annoy the neighbours (and attract attention of the Authorities!) ?