Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wireless Components for Medium range communication help

Kymuba

Feb 2, 2016
I need help choosing an electronics component which will transmit information to my garage door to have it open when i get within a certain range. I am inexperienced in the field, but would like to know what kind of signals or components I should invest my time into.

The only information it would transmit would be some sort of identification differing between vehicles.
I was thinking maybe a low power signal so it only communicates when it comes in range.

I appreciate your input and thank you very much.
-KB

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I need help choosing an electronics component which will transmit information to my garage door to have it open when i get within a certain range. I am inexperienced in the field, but would like to know what kind of signals or components I should invest my time into.

The only information it would transmit would be some sort of identification differing between vehicles.
I was thinking maybe a low power signal so it only communicates when it comes in range.

-KB

HIo
welcome to EP :)

and what is your definition of into range mean ?

So what is wrong with existing garage door openers ?

Dave

Kymuba

Feb 2, 2016
HIo
welcome to EP :)

and what is your definition of into range mean ?

So what is wrong with existing garage door openers ?

Dave
Hi Dave, thanks for the welcome. To answer some of your questions:
The range I'm looking for is something like 20-30 Yards.
Absolutely nothing is wrong with existing garage doors, this is for a school related engineering project.

Thank you for any insights you can give me,
-KB

cwccis

May 14, 2013

-KB

Try this company for RF products (radiometrix.com) it will do what you want.

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
radiometrix

A little steep for a school project though. The lowest priced pair that I could find came to £26. Maybe you would be better off with a buffered wire run rather than a wireless solution. But, if you are going for a wireless solution, it is likely that prices will be somewhere around this area, unless you try one of the cheap 433mhz, no encoding, no documentation tx/rx pairs from China. Search Ebay for "433 Mhz".

jonathanscottjames

Jul 25, 2010
im thinking you want a simple radar transponder. if you could have 2 inexpensive walkietalkie circuits. then you could simply narrow the bandwidth with a notch filter. then make a receiver and transmitter that would transmit on one frequency and receive on another frequency. there would be one transmitter and receiver in the car and one receiver transmitter pair outside the garage running off the exterior driveway light.. the car pair would revive on the same freq as the houses transmitter and the car transmitter would transmit on the house's receive freq.. the closer you get the higher the feedback freq.. the low-cost transmitters/receiver pair carrier frequency would be innately unstable so the frequency but the feedback frequency would be exact. infact. you could make simple high-pass filter that would only allow it to feedback on the target frequency or higher. mmmkay?
if you want any details on how to do that. i guess i assume your knowledge of basic electronics to be too high and i would be glad to make the circuit for you. but i would have to make a video to copyright it for patent.

love, jonathan

p.s. we used to get the walkietalkie pairs at the dime-store for 1$ for a pair of channel 14 citizens band walkietalkies. i think that was 29.245mhz. but i guess you would need 2 different frequencies.. yet same principal but todays cheep txrx devices are 433mhz arduino says they have a range. the receivers auto tune. i guess you would have to make a hibird mixersplitter by tuning the antenna like rabbit ears and spacing then correctly to keep it from tuning to itself, might be easier to use 29145 for one channel and 433 for the other channel. good luck

Last edited: