Connect with us

wireless blu-ray player

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by missjulie, Apr 29, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. missjulie

missjulie

Apr 29, 2012
    Hello my name is Julie and I am clueless,

My son has told me he wants a wireless blu-ray player for his b-day. I am looking around on amazon trying to find one. I am getting confused.

What is a wireless blu-ray player, I enter "wireless blu-ray player" into amazon search and a lot of the result don't say wireless in the headings.

Are all blu-ray players wireless? And what does wireless mean, there are no cords or cables running from the player to the tv? And can you only use a wireless blu-ray player if you have a tv that is capable?

Or does wireless simply mean the player picks up the internet through a signal? And the player is actually physically connected to the tv?

And information so I buy the correct player would be great. And also if you know of a good quality player that would be great also.

Thanks,

Julie:eek:

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Hello Miss Julie, and welcome to Electronics Point.

We don't normally have experts here on consumer electronics, we're a bit more low level.

I hope that someone here has some experience with a wireless blue-ray player and can help you.

I would presume that it is a standalone (battery powered) unit with its own small screen. I've seen a plethora of CD players like this, but not blue-ray -- but that may be because I haven't gone looking.

If a google search doesn't turn up a heap of things described using thee words, then I can only suggest you ask your son what it actually means, or give him cash to go out and buy something.

3. timothy48342

timothy48342

Nov 28, 2011
    Low level, but high fuctioning. :)

I can't figure out what "wireless blu-ray" is either. Blu-ray is just a disk. Like a CD or DVD, but better.

Bluetooth is not what you said and is all about wirelessness, but has nothing to do with video players. I only mention bluetooth in case something got mixed up between the 2. (bluetooth vs blu-ray)

A quick search at Best Buy showing blu-ray players had some with what was called "Wi-Fi Ready" or "Wi-Fi Built In" I don't know what that means or if that's what your son is looking for. I can only guess that maybe there is some integration with other devices or a home internet connection.

I get the feeling that he knows more what he wants than any of us are going to guess. So, like Steve said, cash.

About $100 to $150 in a gift card to his favorite consumer electronics store might do the trick. I'd love to get a gift card like that about now.

One more thing. You searched Amazon. Amazon is great. They have just about everything I ever thought I might want. They are very diverse. They are so diverse that it muddles your search. Pick a consumer electronics store that you know sells a smaller variety of things that a lot of people buy. Go to their website and search only their products and your search will be much more targetted. I picked Best Buy for my search, because they are local to me and I know they carry a product line that is still large, but not nearly as large as Amazom. I don't know where you are or what you have access to. Fry's Electronics is good too.

Amazon is a bad place to start your search when you don't know what you want. Amazon is a great place to make a purchase decision after you know what you want.

Also, going to a consumer electronics store and asking a salesperson exactly what you asked us might help, because they deal with those products every day. (But of course take whatever any saleperson says with a large grain of salt.)
    -tim

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Many Blu-Ray players now have online features like Netflix, Hulu or other streaming music or video services built in and thus require an Internet connection if you want to use those features...

I personally have moved beyond physical media for my home entertainment, my entire video and music collection is located on a central server in the house accessible from all my TVs and most any other wireless device I own... A godsend with children, no more scratched disc or tapes laying all over the floor, they can watch any movie with just a few clicks on a remote, no mess no destroyed media...

5. timothy48342

timothy48342

Nov 28, 2011
    Ohhhh. The wireless part is about features.

Yeah, so I think he wants a bur-ray player. (It connected directly to a tv with the standard connections. No wireless connections.) It plays regular blu-ray disks. Nothing wireless there.

But it also can connect the a wireless router like many people have now in their homes. (You may have one) And by connecting to that, it can take advantage of services through the internet. Pay services such as Netflix. (and possibly some free services, too.)

Starting to make sense.
    -t

6. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    the phrase wireless opens up so many different possibilities. wireless net is one everyone is talking about, but there are also av sender, recievers, so if for example the bluray is in the living room and he wishes to play a movie but watch it in his bedroom he will either need to run a very long chord or use said sender/reciever.
    as stated by most people the likelihood is its the net feature but please clarify with your son what sort of wireless.
    also when you are looking to buy there is an option I like doing. going into a real shop first. there are a heap of people that know their stuff. if you get a basic bluray with net, then the likelihood of hooking a keyboard and mouse up to it is unlikely. and for net surfing a keyboard and mouse is so much simpler. also do you currently have a wireless modem or router? because they are needed also. as many people have said there is a myriad of questions that you will have to ask your son and then ask the person selling the item. do your research and find the best for you.

Ask a Question