Connect with us

Wired, rechargeable battery powered overhead LED lights

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by IAH, Sep 26, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. IAH

IAH

Sep 26, 2016
    My parents have built a house in the countryside and my dad has a workshop shed detached from the house. He uses it for storage and light (battery powered) carpentry. He did not want to pay to put electricity in the shed, so it is dark. I bought him a few LED work lamps, but I would like something that he could walk in and hit a switch by the door and get some overhead light so he doesn't have to fumble around for the work lamps.

I was thinking of some kind of overhead LED lights, wired to a rechargeable battery pack with a switch in between. Then I could buy him 2 batteries so he could have one charged in the house and swap them out when necessary. Probably a lithium iron battery to avoid the memory issues etc.

Could anyone give me advice on how to best do this? 12V or 24V lights? Probably 12V cause 24V batteries will die too quickly right? Maybe something like this?
    https://www.amazon.com/Brightest-Ca...ll_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent

Any battery recommendations for something that is easily rechargeable and would last long enough before recharging to not be annoying?

Appreciate any help! Thanks!

Ian

2. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir Ian . . . . . . . .

It certainly looks like that referenced lighting sources will be adequate , but the only site referencing suggests each unit pulling 3 watts @ 12VDC.
    Therefore when relating a string of 5's runtime into the use of a Li Ion battery pack would have a battery runtime of ~3 hrs, for an expenditure of about 2 X $50 for Li ion battery packs..
    Now, a conventional lead-acid motorcycle or small car battery with a carrying handle might price out cheaper and yield longer run times..

73's de Edd

3. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Why not fit a couple of solar lights....plenty to pick from, cheap too, easy to set up

4. Audioguru

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
    Most reviews say that those LED lights fail soon. Amazon knows nothing about electricity which is why they did not say how much current the lights use.

Ask a Question