Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wired ir repeater

mongoose

Jan 29, 2010
I would like to make an ir repeater that uses the rc5 protocol.

I have the basics but it will require modifiying.

I have an ir repeater that when the remote is pressed i can see it flashing on the display. But i believe its not setup for rc5 as i am not getting any output on the ir blaster. I have checked this and it works independantly.

As its an already complete repeater do you think this is achievable? and where do i start?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It's very hard to say.

A simple repeater will simply repeat any IR pulses it sees.

A more complex repeater might read, decode, validate, then reencode and retransmit the signal.

There may also be options in the middle.

If the unit you have only retransmits a valid signal (implying some internal processing) then it may be extremely difficult to make it recognise another signal (since it is designed specifically NOT to).

It may be something as simple as the carrier frequency being different (often a 40 kHz (ish) carrier is transmitted with (digital) modulation being imposed on top of this). If the input of this device is particularly sensitive tot he carrier frequency, then you *may* be able to make it work on another frequency. Near the minimum you may need to replace the receiver module.

mongoose

Jan 29, 2010
Its a microsoft media centre receiver that can be used to control other devices. From what i have read once setup i believe through software it can be made to replicate other remotes, which ties in with what you say.

As i cannot set it up on a pc as you need a tv output i am not sure if its stored in its memory (which would be ideal) or i could somehow use the parts inside of it to make it do what i require.

But if not worth it i can look for just a reciever as have the emitter.

Just took a crude picture so people can see whats on the board as it may help with component recognition on whether this can be done.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/821/irreceiver.jpg/

Last edited: