Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wire Wrapping

pyromaniac4382

Feb 7, 2013
I would like to prototype using wire wrapping. It seems like an easy method when it comes to point to point connections. I have wire-wrapped in the past, and I actually find it enjoyable since I can do it on the couch. The problem is I don't know where to find materials. I figure what I will need is a whole lot of single in-line break-away long machine pins, and a no-copper proto-board. I say single in-line break away because it prevent me from having to buy all different sizes of sockets. I could also use these for passives and what-not. I already have the wire and the wrapping tool. Where does one find some wire-wrap ready materials though?

pyromaniac4382

Feb 7, 2013
Yes, those are dual in-line wire wrap sockets, and the more difficult to find would be the single in-line break-away wire wrap sockets with long posts. Thanks for the site.

Last edited:

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I was hoping you'd get more info on this, so I wouldn't have to Google it for you. Being an old guy I have a good supply of wire-wrap stuff and haven't been needing to buy any for years.
My SIP (single-in-line package) posts, including individual posts came from Mill-Max and Samtec. I don't know if they still make them, but if you Google their websites, you should
find a lot of the wire-wrap pins and sockets. If you have the wire-wrap tool, you know what gauge wire to use for your tool. I'd just Google wire-wrap, and start looking their for specialty
items you need. I too like using wire-wrap. It's easy to make, and easy to modify. I use Vero Boards.

pyromaniac4382

Feb 7, 2013
Thanks, 30 AWG is what my tools takes. Tools and wire are easy to get. There is a limited number of people distributing other wire wrap items however, thus why you can get regular female headers by the hundreds for under $10, and you can get 10 wire-wrap sockets for the same price.