Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wire wound resistors

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
Can u put high oscillations through a wire wound resistor without hurting its wave shapes high frequency detail?

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Depends on the frequency you want to use. Wire wound resistors can be quite inductive which will limit the frequency you can use.
If you want to put a lot of power through one, try to find a bulk carbon type as it will have far less inductance.
Any resistor that is spiral cut to achieve it's final resistance will perform similarly to a W/W type.

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
Thanks alot, one more thing if u know at all, whonoes... Sorry if this is a dumb question but if a resistor was in a zag pattern, and maybe it was printed or some other way, would this still have the inductance the same? Because the tracks are still really close to each other, and maybe it would still have some magnetic effect on itself - but maybe whonoes until you try. :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There are ways of creating windings which are non inductive.

When I say "non inductive" I mean minimally or less inductive because even a straight piece of wire has inductance.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
A zig - zag pattern will still exhibit some inductance.
Ref Steve, yes it is possible to wind non inductive resistors. The clue is wind. it is generally done by winding half of the turns in one direction and the other half in the opposite direction, cancelling out the fields. But they tend to be somewhat more expensive. And yes, even a small piece of wire will exhibit inductance. You can't get away from it.

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
cool thats a great idea, you phase invert the magnetic field, of course!!

I was thinking about making a 200 megaohm micro delay for a delay line memory of godlike proportions, but then funnily enough I just worked out its a waste of space compared to putting down the ram normally... so thats knocked on the head, but I think the circular memory array is still good idea as a hardware design concept.