Connect with us

Wire Size for Security Camera

Discussion in 'Radio and Wireless' started by KAC, Nov 20, 2021.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. KAC

KAC

Nov 17, 2021
    I'm helping a friend install a camera system (NVR and 4 wireless cameras). House is older and fairly difficult to get into the attic (and install power for cameras). The house has vinyl siding for the soffets - I'm thinking about just using 16 gauge drop cords to run power to each camera and then tie them all together on the garage side of the house. One run is about 80 feet - the others are about 40 feet. Does anyone see a problem using 16 gauge drop cords (I'm thinking the power draw is very small since the cameras are 12v with a 110v male connector and a transformer for 110v to 12v DC)?

2. crutschow

crutschow

May 7, 2021
    The cameras should have a power rating in their specifications, but the power draw is likely quite small (a few watts).
    18Ga wire should be sufficient, even for the 80 foot run.

3. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    Yes. Power circuits should be installed according to your local electrical codes.
    If these are 120v branch circuits you need to run a minimum of 14awg regardless of the load and use a chapter 1 wiring method according to the NEC.

You can't use flexible cord as a substitute for a permanent wiring method.

If this is a power limited DC circuit on the load side of a transformer, the smaller wire is probably fine, but it still must follow the installation rules (see NEC art 725)
    And use the proper cable (Example be listed and marked CL2 for class two wiring)

Ask a Question