Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wire Kit for Battery

bubbagump00

May 24, 2010
Can anyone tell me how to wire this kit for battery use? (Please don't say read the PDF data sheet. Trust me, I have.) I would like to use 3 AAA batteries.

LTX71CM

May 23, 2010
You can't use 3 AAA batteries unless you modify that circuit. A 7805 needs more than five volts on it's input to maintain 5v on it's output. Couple that fact with the diode protection on the power jack and 4.5v from 3 AAAs just won't cut it. With the regulator in place you *might* get the circuit to function with 4 AAA batteries but don't count on it.

Assuming you provide enough batteries to satisfy but current draw and needed voltage it's as easy as wiring a plug to the battery holder. You of course need to make sure the polarity is correct and that the plug matches the jack on the board.

bubbagump00

May 24, 2010
Okay. Well say I just bypassed the 5V regulator as it says in the data sheet for the kit, then would the circuit work? Or do I need to removed the diode D2 as well?

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
Diode D2 is only there to provide reverse polarity protection. What are the chances that you will insert the batteries in the wrong direction? If you were only using 2 cells, then it might be necessary to eliminate the voltage drop across D2. But with 3 cells there should be enough margin to keep D2 and still have IC1 work well.

LTX71CM

May 23, 2010
I gave the circuit in the PDF a cursory glance and based on that 3 AAA may work. The ISD17120 datasheet does say it can operate from 2.5v-5.5v. If you bypass/remove the protection diode make very certain you've observed plug polarity.

bubbagump00

May 24, 2010
Heres what I've got right now, and it isn't working: The positive lead is on X2, the negative on the other DC input hole.
Regulator is bypassed with a wire jumping the two outside holes together, the middle is left untouched.
Also, I removed the LED because I was unsure of polarity and simply bridged it with a wire.
Anything wrong with that? Why might it not be working?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Heres what I've got right now, and it isn't working: The positive lead is on X2, the negative on the other DC input hole.
Regulator is bypassed with a wire jumping the two outside holes together, the middle is left untouched.
Also, I removed the LED because I was unsure of polarity and simply bridged it with a wire.
Anything wrong with that? Why might it not be working?

Who knows?

Put the LED back in -- it should glow (I guess) when power is applied.

Ensure you have the correct polarity. One way is to measure continuity from the +ve supply pin of the IC to the connector that would connect to the +ve end of the battery.

Measure the current drawn, what is it?

What voltage appears across the supply pins of the IC?

edit: Why shouldn't we ask you to read the PDF? It's the first thing I did.

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
bubbagump,
if you had read the pdf file you would fid that the chip needs 5V to operate !! No oneder yours isnt working if youa re only using 3 batteries there just aint enough voltage

the input voltage to the regulator is suggested to be ~ 9 - 12VDC (would work with 8 - 10V). ignoring the regulator you still need a MINIMUM of 5V for the cct to work

cheers
Dave

follow the rules .... READ THE INSTRUCTIONS :)

You NEED the LED it tells you when you are in record or playback mode DONT leave it out :)

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
the chip needs 5V to operate !! No oneder yours isnt working if youa re only using 3 batteries there just aint enough voltage

The specs for the chip suggest "2.4V to 5.5V operating voltage".

That's why I was concentrating on reverse polarity, accidental short or open circuit rather than on the < 5V supplied.

It's possible it required more current than AAA cells can provide, but I'd not consider that likely.

Since it's a kit, you've also got to wonder whether it was constructed correctly. Did it (for example) work correctly from (say) 9V before the modifications were commenced?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The specs for the chip suggest "2.4V to 5.5V operating voltage".?
That's why I was concentrating on reverse polarity, accidental short or open circuit rather than on the < 5V supplied.?

Yup Fair comment :)

Since it's a kit, you've also got to wonder whether it was constructed correctly. Did it (for example) work correctly from (say) 9V before the modifications were commenced?

Ahhhh thats the $6million question .... bubbagump ... did you try it on 9V before you started bridging out components ? if not it would probably be a great idea to get it working in its originally designed way :)

Dave