Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wire connection type?

edennis

Jun 12, 2018
Hello,
I am wondering if someone knows what sort of connector I need to connect to this ametek blower? Is some sort of molex needed?
See images below.
Thanks,
Eric
s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

edennis

Jun 12, 2018
I'm fairly electronically illiterate.

I found the wiring diagram, and that it says "6-Cavity Post Header for 4-Wire Harness with Two Power Leads and Two Speed Command Leads"

I'm just not finding a product to buy that looks like it will this pattern of square pins. Could you supply a name or link to the type of thing I am looking for?

Thanks,

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Did you try researching the Ametek spec sheet for the blower, maybe it specifies it. Or check the Ametek website for specific information?
Yes, it's a Molex-type jack, but there are a lot of them. The number of contacts, the pin spacing and pin diameter are part of the description. Since you're in the US, and are unfamiliar with electrical connectors, I'd try the local appliance parts store in your area, they may be able to help.
I'll also mention, if you assemble the cable harness yourself, I'd 'key' the mating plug, so nobody accidentally plugs the connector in backwards (that just means plugging the empty hole in the mating plug so that the plug obstruction would prevent the pin on the mating jack from being used, if somebody in the future accidentally reverses the mating connector.)
The best way to do this is to take the blower in to an appliance or electronic parts supply store, and have them match the connector for you. If none of this helps, try to measure the distance between the pins on the connector jack inside the blower, and somebody here will try to help you.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
I'm fairly electronically illiterate.

I found the wiring diagram, and that it says "6-Cavity Post Header for 4-Wire Harness with Two Power Leads and Two Speed Command Leads"

I'm just not finding a product to buy that looks like it will this pattern of square pins. Could you supply a name or link to the type of thing I am looking for?

Thanks,
I told you exactly where the information is. The first link I posted is a data sheet. Halfway or more down that sheet, the blower model you have is listed in a chart. Below that chart are some notes. One of those notes is headed "Miscellaneous". In the paragraph that follows is a brand (Amp) and model numbers for the connector body and pins as well as some mention that Ametek sells a premade harness.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Duh. Obviously edennis isn't the only one who didn't read your original post.
Good work KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Duh. Obviously edennis isn't the only one who didn't read your original post.
Good work KJ6EAD
It's understandable that the casual reader may not read the fine print of every linked item, though they probably should before posting on the thread. It is less understandable that the TS, having the most to gain, would fail to carefully parse a thoughtful response to their query. o_O

The internet, which I've read twice now, is awash with information, some small portion of which is objectively true. To find a needle in a haystack one need only burn the haystack down and go over the ashes with a strong magnet. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Betcha edennis has linked to your reference after secondary prodding, and has what he needs now.
So even if he doesn't respond, you did him good.