Maker Pro
Maker Pro

wind turbine to battery

davez

Oct 11, 2014
what components will i need to use in order to attach the wind generator to the battery without running the generator using the energy from the battery ? thanks . I need all the materials that are needed to do this

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Hello.
I would use a diode to prevent the battery from 'backflowing' into the generator. When the voltage generated overcomes the battery voltage + diode drop, will charge it.
Overvoltage generation at high speeds is another subject, right ? Would take some regulator circuit to limit or chop the DC.

davez

Oct 11, 2014
do i need the capacitor to smoothen the voltage coming from the wind turbine?

ADRT

Nov 25, 2014
There's a lot to charging a battery with a wind generator besides the obvious components. What kind of battery are you charging? What are you using for a generator and what is the output?
Different battery types must be charged in a certain way, and having a good charge controller set up for the proper battery type is imperative.

Here is a good source for DIY wind and solar battery charging. It may not fit what you are trying to do, but there is a lot of good information here from someone who has been through this and had good success.

http://mdpub.com/

This setup is for charging Lead Acid batteries. There are two controller designs this gentleman has come up with. They are easy to build and have worked for him for several years charging a "Deep Cycle" Lead Acid Battery.