Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wind turbine dump control

Doodadyoung

Nov 26, 2013
Thanks for this forum.
I want to build a dump control for my small wind turbine. I have some electronic knowledge, and have assembled some kits. I think this would be a simple project for those who knows about this type of control. Basically it would detect the battery voltage and when the batteries reach around 13.5 to 14v it would close a circuit to a relay that would turn on a 300w 12v heater to dump the excess electricity, When the battery voltage drops back down the controller would open the circuit and the heater would turn off. If anyone could help me with this it may save me some money and I love building things. A parts list and simple wiring diagram is all that I need.
Thanking You I Am

BitHead

Mar 2, 2012
VCS (Voltage Controlled Switch)

Just a quick `back-of-the-napkin' thought - haven't actually built this myself - but is what I'd try first - and then adjust resistor values until it worked as fantasized. :)
attachment.php

Heh-heh...stuck the battery in upside down.:)
Now that I'm thinking about what I did - and that you want it to regulate around 12V (not just dump all the battery into a load) I'd change the 2.2K and 1K to 470 and 220. Considering that the coils of most heavy-duty relays need quite a bit of current - use something like a TIP31 for Q.
Good luck! I expect it will make a nice obnoxious chattering when it's working. ;)

Attachments

• BasicVCS.jpg
    BasicVCS.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

mursal

Dec 13, 2013
As you probably know, the voltage regulator in a vehicle alternator does exactly what you want to do. It just cuts/reduces the current flow to the rotor winding above 14V7 volts. You could use one to control your relay, or have you to build the circuit from scratch?

Typical regulator Click

BitHead

Mar 2, 2012
I thought an auto regulator works by closing a switch when the voltage is too LOW (to energize the field coils to create a magnetic field for the armature to pass thru) - not when it goes too high - and therefore is NOT exactly what is wanted? (Which I understood to be a way to keep a strong wind from exceeding the voltage ratings of caps or battery charge current AND not totally waste that excess energy by using it to heat something that needs heating anyway.)
Or is there something about LUCAS ACR Alternators that would make the regulator you referenced work in this situation?

mursal

Dec 13, 2013
Yes that is correct, I had in mind to change the logic of the output using a relay/contactor. Holding a set of contacts open with the output from the regulator, while the voltage was within range, under 14Volts. Then allowing the contacts to close, switching on the load above 14Volts. But was unsure if the original poster wanted a solution or to build a project from discrete components.

Sorry, if I am probably, completely, missing the point?

Last edited: