Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Winco generator not producing electricity

Chrisbadboy

Sep 25, 2016
I have a WinCo WC 12000 HED power generator with a Honda Engine 2 cylinder electric start I purchased this generator use and I've never seen it run I have it installed and running in my bus but it's not producing electricity everything looks to be in good shape in the electrical box however I did modify the main frame of the unit because it was too big to fit in the side of my bus so I trimmed it down a bit and the box with all the plugs on it is not connected to the Mainframe anymore I don't know if that does anything but I need to figure out how to make this thing produce electricity it looks really good inside all the plugs and wires look good ( nothing melted) it sat for awhile (approximately one year) and before that I cant say but it is very clean , low hours and the engine fired right upi

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The "mainframe" may have provided an earth return. If it was connected via metal fasteners, why not try connecting these back to the frame via heavy cable.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
The Winco site provides quite a lot of info on their products including manuals and diagrams also.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
As always asked. ....Photos?

Chris

Chrisbadboy

Sep 25, 2016
Thank you to everyone who answered or tried to help. Turns out it was the residual magnetism (or lack there of ) I put two wires on a 9volt battery put the wires in the recepticle while the engine was runing and it began producing electricity so fast I coulnt react fast enough and the baterry got hot and started smoking. I yanked the batyery free and flung it, generator works perfect now. PS next time I do something like this I will only let battery remain connected for a splt second , I threw the 9volt battery away but I wish I had put my meter to (Im guessing it had a little more than 9volts. lol)

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
You know we often read the familiar phrase "I know just enough to be dangerous" but what you described might win you this year's top Darwin Award. You may find comfort in knowing that in my younger years I did sh!t dopier than that! :D

Glad to read that it's up and running though. Moreover, that you still have fingers to type with. :p

Chris

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Excellent. This technique was suggested to someone with a similar problem. I remembered your thread, but thought it and the other one were the same. Glad you found the information and thanks for reporting the success of it.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
I'm curious Steve. In the other thread, which I think I remember too, was the 9V battery left connected while starting the generator?

Chris

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Well, for the next guy that tries this it might behoove them to place a 1A fuse in series with the battery. Not the fastest acting component known to man but better than nothing. I'm just curious as to whether the battery even needs to remain connected while the generator is cranked? It's quite possible that enough residual magnetism will remain for a while long after the battery is disconnected from the receptacle.

Chris