Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Will this switch work with what I'm trying to do?

TomH

Aug 17, 2015
I have 4 outputs from different audio sources via aux cable. I'm trying to combine them all into a box and have an easy way to change the audio source. If only one source is going to be used at a time how should I wire everything together?

Should I use a dp4t slide switch like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Position-DP4T...=1439770887&sr=8-1&keywords=dp4t+slide+switch

and would I wire it by connecting the ground on all the aux together and then use one pole for right channel and the other pole for left channel? or do I need a pole for ground as well?

Sorry, i'm fairly new to electronics.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
I have 4 outputs from different audio sources via aux cable. I'm trying to combine them all into a box and have an easy way to change the audio source. If only one source is going to be used at a time how should I wire everything together?

Should I use a dp4t slide switch like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Position-DP4T...=1439770887&sr=8-1&keywords=dp4t+slide+switch
Chris said:
Not sure. I'd feel more confident if they'd included a schematic of the switch or the mfgr datasheet.
and would I wire it by connecting the ground on all the aux together and then use one pole for right channel and the other pole for left channel?
Chris said:
Yes, like that.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
The dp4t switch wired as you describe in post #1, using a common (unswitched) ground should be fine.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'll mention this in the hopes of helping you avoid problems later.
There are a lot of audio/visual switch boxes available on the market, and they're relatively inexpensive. They're designed for this.
What you need to be aware of, is that signals from several different sources can cause interference when they 'bleed' over into other nearby cables.
The switch may not be a problem, but how you wire, and what you use to wire the different inputs together can impact the quality of the signal at your output.
I don't know what you're wiring into your switch, exept that they're audio input signals.
Trying to prevent audio interference (affecting your signal quality), I suggest using shielded wire, like coax, to try to keep unwanted outside signals from 'bleeding over',
into your circuit. I also suggest you look at some of the audio switch boxes commercially available, because they're shielded, and designed for what you want to do.
I don't know how you intend to install your switch, but if the wires at the switch are not 'shielded' from outside electrical noise, you may find your switch circuit allows unwanted 'noise'
into the circuit.
Unsheilded wiring can pick-up electrical noise from flourescent lighting, other motor-driven small devices, or any number of other outside electrical noise generators.
The commercially available units shield thier switch-boxes to prevent this.
Good luck with the work if you do-it-yourself.