Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Will the USB 3.0 cables get too hot?

Arthur Hernandez

Dec 19, 2017
Hello!
This is my first electronic question. The image I have attached should be self-explanatory for a better understanding of my project. However, I need to know do I have to add any additional cable?

I am going to utilize 3 lap top computers (A, B, & C) and connected computer A to B with a USB 3.0 cable. Then I will also connect computer B to C with a USB 3.0 cable. I am going to access data from computer A with computer B. Then I will access data from computer B with computer C. I am utilizing MS Excel on all lab top computers.

I will have all three lap top computers with the AC chargers plugged on.

QUESTION: Will the USB 3.0 cables get too hot? If so, what cables should I use instead or what additional cables should I get?

SPECS:
Software: Microsoft Excel 2013
Hardware: 3 HP Pavilion lap top computer
System: Windows 10
Network: The computers are NOT network...off line only
Connected USB 2.jpg
Sincerely,
Arthur

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
It is quite possible that the 5 Volt BUS'es on the laptops are not exactly the same, and that will lead to circulating currents; whether the AC chargers are connected or not. And it is not based on USB 2 or USB 3.

But, my guess is, there will be some sort of protection to prevent 5 Volt back-feed inbuilt in the computers.

Arthur Hernandez

Dec 19, 2017
It is quite possible that the 5 Volt BUS'es on the laptops are not exactly the same, and that will lead to circulating currents; whether the AC chargers are connected or not. And it is not based on USB 2 or USB 3.

But, my guess is, there will be some sort of protection to prevent 5 Volt back-feed inbuilt in the computers.
Awesome!!! Thank you so much!!! When I actually do the test...I will let you know if anything happens. If any.