Maker Pro
Maker Pro

WiFi enabled Garage Door Opener

oxicottin

Sep 14, 2012
Hello, I'm new to this and want to give it a go. I want to build a 5ghz garage door opener that I can know if it's open or closed from my phone and control it using phone or Google Assistant using IFTTT. I know you can buy the MyQ but that's no fun ..

Thanks!

Frankchie

Nov 14, 2017
One way to do this is using an esp8266, or a Nodemcu module which contains an esp8266 with some nice extras. Both have wifi capabilities and can be programed using the Arduino Development software. You can find lot's of example projects on the web and probably some can be modified for your garage door project. I have used these modules to control sprinkler systems and other remote devices and access them from any browser as they are capable of serving HTML pages.

The Nodemcu has a microusb connector by which you program it, no extra hardware programming platform is required. And there are several excellent forums around if you need help.

And they are inexpensive and widely available.

Frank

Frankchie

Nov 14, 2017
That looks like a Nodemcu board, but I don't think it is. It might employ an esp8266 but I don't think it's actually a Nodemcu....Although it might be a very similar concept. I'm not sure what programming language it uses but it looks like C++ and something called a Particle IDE. (not sure what that is). Anyway, it might not be a bad solution for you if there are support resources available (forums, etc).

Yes, the esp8266/Nodemcu does use 2.4.ghz, wifi not the 5 ghz you wanted. Most routers that support 5ghz also support 2.4ghz so it shouldn't be much of a problem to configure your router accordingly. BTW, 5 ghz can support higher wifi transfer speeds, but the 2.4ghz band has a greater distance range. 2.4ghz is all I have because of the range advantage. Also many devices still don't support 5 ghz so having 2.4 ghz available may prove useful to you in the future.

Another alternative might be the popular Raspberry PI. I think version 3 has 2.4 and 5 ghz wifi, but I have not used any of the R-Pi's devices. Although I think it is vary powerful and is actually a fully functional computer system with a Linux operating system and multitasking, it even supports an HDMI monitor and usb keyboard. It's reasonably priced and a reasonably small board so using it for specific dedicated projects is not unusual. I intend to try one soon although it sounds like a bigger learning curve than a Nodemcu.

Here's an example of the nodemcu/esp8266.
http://rabbithole.wwwdotorg.org/2017/04/18/esp8266-garage-door.html

Frank

oxicottin

Sep 14, 2012
Hay Frank, I purchased this relay last week from Amazon and after receiving it a few days ago it works good except I don't know the status of my door. I found this EACHEN garage door unit already made but I want to try and use mine. It doesn't show how the magnets are connected to show the status. Would you know?

Frankchie

Nov 14, 2017
Sorry, i don't know anything about the relay you purchased.

Anyway, connecting the magnet detector switch to your relay doesn't do any good if the software in your relay is not programmed to detect it. Best I can tell from a quick reading of the associated URL I didn't see any "input" capability where you might connect a door sensor.

There are a couple of buttons on the board, but I really don't understand there purpose. If the software can detect the status of one of those buttons perhaps you could wire a door sensor switch across the switch contacts. Of course, that presproses that activating that switch does not interfere with the basic garage door operation.

Frank