Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wi-fi

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Oh, better antenna beats gain most of the time. When you say you have to handle your device "carefully", what do you mean? What did you break?

Just bringing it down from the wall to photo it for you broke it and a further repair was necessary.
The 3 FME picture120.jpg picture121.jpg plug seems most likely.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
FME is not one I'd expect to see. It's more likely SMA.

Look at the gold coloured end of this adapter. Does the N300 end look like that?

The antenna is supposed to screw into the socket on the N300, what is broken? Is it the antenna or where it screws into the N300? If it's the antenna then you're OK, if you've damaged the N300 itself, then you're in a worse place.

It looks like you've broken the part of the antenna that screws into the socket on the N300. That part is pretty vital because it makes one of the connections between the antenna and the N300.

A replacement whip antenna may be the easiest fix.

I would connect the antenna to the dish using cable ties through holes in the lip of the dish. A plastic standoff could be used to ensure a reasonably rigid arrangement at the "free" end of the whip.

Get it all done with the antenna NOT connected to the N300 and then connect them together. Looping the USB cable to the N300 through a cable tie connected to the dish would help reduce strain.

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Agree, a replacement whip antenna would solve the problem. The metal screw collar on mine is the part that broke, The female is similiar to the adapter you linked to.

The reason I have pinned the aerial to the reflector with a domestic clothespeg is because that is the way it did it in the initial experiment and it worked.:rolleyes: Replacing it with a more sophisticate bridge held on with a nut and bolt, looked better but didn't work as well. :oops: Replacing it again feeding it into a drilled hole on the now folded lip caused the breakage through my clumsy fingers.
After repair I reverted to the first system out of desperation but it does not work as well as it did the first time. But then my only guide is the number of bars shown.
Deigh

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I think the simplest solution will be the simplest solution. :)

1. get a new antenna
  2. flatten the lip of your dish
  3. drill 4 holes in the lip (that a cable tie can pass through)
  4. drill one hole in the dish in line with the antenna and a couple of cm down from the tip of the antenna. A cable tie should be able to pass through this twice.
  5. pass 2 cable ties through the holes in the lip and use them to hold the base of the antenna in position (see the image on the left, below)
  6. get a plastic tube (maybe from an old biro). Pass a cable tie up through the hole in the dish, through the tube, around the tip of the antenna, then back down the tube and back through the same hole in the dish. (see the image on the right, below)
  7. connect the antenna to the N300
  8. Enjoy more bars :)
Deigh-antenna.png

And a front on & side view of what I'm thinking:

deigh-antenna-2.png

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Thanks for those brilliant little drawings, I admire the fact that you have the medium under control enough to make them!
I had already made up my mind to buy another antenna setup and hate to remind you but this was what this conversation started off as, me asking advice about what to replace it with! Since then I've had a marvelous time trying to describe what I have done and learned a whole lot more about wi-fi
The existing unit is pinned to a curtain in my den. It is liable to fall at the drop of a hat and I'm trying to think of a better way of installing it. My main problem is the limits imposed on me by the fact that my right hand is very weak and feels like a bunch of bananas when I'm trying to squeeze a bulldog clip or even a clothespeg to secure anything to a curtain!

Thanks again for all your help:D
Deigh

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Your original idea worked. The easiest solution is to get another whip antenna of about the same size and to mount it in such a way you don't damage it.

I would just take your broken antenna (just the whip, not the dish) and the N300 to Jaycar and perhaps to places that sell wireless routers to see if they have a suitable replacement. EBay would be cheaper but it may take a lot longer.

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Your original idea worked. The easiest solution is to get another whip antenna of about the same size and to mount it in such a way you don't damage it.

I would just take your broken antenna (just the whip, not the dish) and the N300 to Jaycar and perhaps to places that sell wireless routers to see if they have a suitable replacement. EBay would be cheaper but it may take a lot longer.

Have tried Jaycar but no luck. Will persue Ebay
Deigh

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you're getting it from eBay it might be worth looking at a small yagi or a panel antenna.

Just make sure you get the right connector. It's not a huge deal if you don't, often an adapter can be purchased for a little more than $1, but the time it takes to get them is bloody annoying.

My guess is that you're probably getting about 8dBi of gain, so look for something with numbers bigger than that if you're buying a panel or a yagi.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
No, that's something else entirely.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Back to looking at this problem again. My new improvised aerial is working quite well but I'd like to improve it. As you all may have guessed I have pretty sketchy knowledge about what I am doing, but am anxious to learn. Where would I start to find out more about wifi waves and reception?
Deigh

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The best thing to do is simply to google for diy WiFi antennas.

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Here is the result of some experimentation with aerials....This is my present set-up which is an Alpha USB adapter with an extended 12" rod and a cheap $2 chromed strainer from the op-shop. With my Samsung laptop I can pick up free wi-fi from the local library 150metres away giving a signal strength of -63dBm and a link quality of 90.
I can also pick up and use a gig a day free wifi from a Spark telephone booth which is 300 metres away and actually not in line of sight. Here the strength is -71dBm and the link quality 78.
The aerial is pinned to the curtains in my den, and gives me 24/7 wi-fi.
DeighAerial.jpg