Maker Pro
Maker Pro

wi-fi

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Hi there, back on the forum after a short break. At the moment my home computer is away being repaired and i'm using a free-be at the local library. Here is my problem...
When using a computer from home I take advantage of free w-fi from the local library which is about 300 metres from my flat. I am using a booster to improve the reception but sometimes that is not enough to stay in contact. Can anyone suggest a way of boosting reception?
Deigh

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
Probably need to boost the free library wi-fi signal at its source. They must have a reasonable signal already if you can pick it up 300m away.
Not sure that the library would be too pleased if they realised that they were providing free wi-fi to the whole neighbourhood though.:)

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Had a chat with library they have no plans to increase their output. They are not concerned about me using their service, after all that is what is there for! They accept that as a stroke victim I have limited ability to carry my PC to their premises for wi-fi use.
Deigh

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Had a chat with library they have no plans to increase their output.

soooooooooo, did you consider my response ? .... you didn't acknowledge my input

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Well. I did , but it didn't get posted for some reason....here again.
I did purchase a slightly longer antenna but it did not work. If I make one myself what standard should i use? for instance guessing that the existing antenna was a fraction of the wavelength should the replacment be twice as long?
There used to be on the market several gadgets that promised to increase the range of your mobile phone or give extra strength to your portable radio. Are the gadgets still around, and would they help?
Deigh

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I did purchase a slightly longer antenna but it did not work.

what specifically do you mean by longer ?

got a web link to it so I can see ?

cheers
Dave

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
J:\N150 High Power USB 2.0 Wireless Network Adaptor Wireless Hardware & Accessories Networking IT Products PRODUCTS YN8306 Jaycar Electronics New Zealand.html

Cant find anything on the internet except this ad. Digitech has many headings but cant find a direct reference to the Hih-power wireless -N USB adapter.
Am still using public computer at library so my time is limited.
Deigh

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Right, I am back using my own computer and anxious to improve my reception. Has anyone experimented with reflectors or amplification to improve wi-fi reception?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Has anyone experimented with reflectors or amplification to improve wi-fi reception?
Personally no.
But as Kiwi already mentioned, it's the wireless router that needs boosting.
You could try a different wireless USB card.
Orr a different antenna. An 18db 2.4 ghz with a booster seems to yield good results.
But to be honest, 300 meters is already a good reception.

Martin

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
I am a lousy judge of distance, it is probably more like 200 than 300 metres distant. Gonna play around with reflectors before giving up.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Never give up..
And sorry to @davenn too, He also recommended the antenna. Sorry Dave, I breezed over that.
Didn't mean to.:)
Does your card have an ext antenna input? Might be an idea to put a directional one on.
Just a thought.

Martin

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
So sorry though, I should have noticed.
It seems to be a normal thing for people to ask questions and disappear. Not in this thread of course. But generally.

Martin

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Don't be so ready to condemn people as lurkers. I am back to having to use the public library to get internet access. Any school break means the computers are dominated by sticky fingered game players. As I have said I am recovering from a stroke and quite frankly many days I am not capable of handling problems of any sort so I switch off.

I have built a temporary reflector screen around the aerial and it works, I am getting an extra bar on the signal strength indicator, but it is not quite enough, I need still more boosting. Martin, you mentioned a booster. What form does it take? I don't know about the card, I'm not sure my computer has one.
Deigh

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Don't be so ready to condemn people as lurkers.

of you, Martin wasn't, he made that plain :)

I have built a temporary reflector screen around the aerial and it works, I am getting an extra bar on the signal strength indicator, but it is not quite enough,

That's a good start but you really need a proper 2.4 GHz Yagi

http://www.citytechnology.com.au/st.../directional-2.4ghz/16dbi-2.4ghz-yagi-antenna

or corner reflector type antenna

http://www.citytechnology.com.au/st...-2.4ghz/19dbi-2.4ghz-square-grid-dish-antenna

Dave

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
thanks for that info, have ordered
16dBi 2.4GHz Yagi Antenna
Deigh

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Can I ask a few general questions about wi-fi? firstly, I live in a house with a corrugated steel roof and aluminium framed windows and doors. This makes an ideal Faraday's cage, can this affect the wi-fi reception.
secondly my existing aerial is taped inside to a window. Will the glass affect reception? or should it be outside?

Up till a few weeks ago I was getting good results from this setup but recently it has failed me. I have been checking network adapters, updates and drivers and have re-installed the Digitiech aerial. Am now seeking desperately for a solution.
Deigh

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Can I ask a few general questions about wi-fi? firstly, I live in a house with a corrugated steel roof and aluminium framed windows and doors. This makes an ideal Faraday's cage, can this affect the wi-fi reception.

yes, get the antenna outside the window with as high and as clear a path towards the library
at 2.4 GHz you really need line of sight ( no obstacles)

Up till a few weeks ago I was getting good results from this setup but recently it has failed me. I have been checking network adapters, updates and drivers and have re-installed the Digitiech aerial. Am now seeking desperately for a solution.

the degradation could have been due to new buildings, growing trees wet trees and a dozen other things between you and the library

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
2.4GHz aerial has not arrived yet, am still using digitex aerial.
Deigh