Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Why no sequential post #'s?

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Begin post #1

What's the matter with you people!? ;) I know vB supports numbering. It's very useful when referring to a previous post in a thread to not have to resort to some convoluted descriptive phraseology.

End post #1 :D

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
What's the matter with you people!?

I believe the issue may have something to do with the problems it causes when threads are merged, or posts shuffled from one thread to another.

I've seen this happen on other boards where after merging, references to "post #3" are all borked.

The best way to refer to another post is to use the quote function which will continue to work even if we play around with the threads.

So I can point to (say) this post of yours.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Evil post

Last edited:

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Quoting to specific people, there is a / in front 'quote' for the closing tag.

Code:
[quote=Name_here]quoted phrase[quote]

edit: Oh, I guess code tags don't work like I figured they would. This is strange behavior, as everything inside a code tag should be irrelevant to formatting by VB

Last edited:

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Post #4

I appreciate the explanation, Steve but still would prefer numbered posts. I don't think I've ever encountered a merged thread but I've seen plenty of threads with whole posts repeatedly requoted, a practice that I find a little annoying.

I suppose that in some improved future iteration of vB there may be an automatic renumbering feature that could reach into the text of a post to find and replace "post #X" with "post #n" but it would have to be clever about context due to spelling errors, etc. or you'd have references to pots in schematics being erroneously renumbered. :eek:

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Post #4

but I've seen plenty of threads with whole posts repeatedly requoted, a practice that I find a little annoying.

Regardless of how the posts are numbered, as long as people can quote you're going to have this problem.

Some software limits the amount you can quote relative to your "original material", and I'll admit that there are a number of posters that could benefit from that.

Sorry, Post #4? Did I misread that?

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I don't think I've ever encountered a merged thread

I just created one here.

Sometimes I tidy them up so they don't look obvious, but I've not done that with this one.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Post #8*

Some software limits the amount you can quote relative to your "original material", and I'll admit that there are a number of posters that could benefit from that.

Sorry, Post #4? Did I misread that?
You make your point effectively with your evil post and the link to the merged duplicate thread.

*Post number is tentative and may become erroneous at any time due to the evil actions of the Super Moderator. KJ6EAD takes no responsibility for any damage, direct or consequential that may occur due to any party's reliance on the post number.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
My evilness shows no bounds :D

At present I'm pretty sure you see posts I delete (probably showing up as a deleted post). This retains the apparent post counts, but some boards make these totally disappear, which again breaks any sequential numbering (or where I've seen it used it has).

However, each post does have a unique post number. This remains the same even if you (well, I, but you get the point) move the post. Mostly you only see that when you quote a message and it appears in the quote tag. But it also appears if you search for posts. Unfortunately, we don't have a "permalink" to make it easy for people to point to a particular post without using the quote.

Code:
[ QUOTE=KJ6EAD;1458138 ] Post #8 [ /QUOTE ]
The number 1458138 is a unique number for your post (It may also mean it was the one million, four hundred and fifty eight thousand, one hundred and thirty eighth post.)

That can also be used to generate a link to your post as a url (but it's not obvious how). It's also not particularly useful because the URL changes if I move the thread, and it is sensitive to the page the thread is on :(

Having a permalink option would be cool, but I don't know if the vBulletin software supports it.

(some Googling later)

Yeah. Apparently if the post numbers are turned on, they are a permalink. Unfortunately, it would probably mean people will refer to the post number rather than using the link it provides.

I've tried some cleverness to manually generate urls in the form that I *think* the permalink uses, but I can't get them to work. So, sorry, I can't offer you some secret magic to amuse your friends and confound your enemies! :)

Hang on, let's try this

First use the following as a base...
Code:
https://www.electronicspoint.com/forum/showthread.php?p=
then add the post number (e.g.)
Code:
yielding this or https://www.electronicspoint.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1458138 or
Code:
https://www.electronicspoint.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1458138

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Interesting, the link to the post appears to be independent of the thread (a permalink) since there's no thread # in it. Only you can verify that though.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
That is correct. And that is the essence of such a link. Even if you post is moved from one thread to another, the link will remain valid.

I'm pretty sure to forget how to do this, so if you use this technique you'll have everyone (including me :D) wondering how you did it.