Connect with us

Why is LED lighting disappearing?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Liron, Aug 31, 2009.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Liron

Liron Guest

LED lighting is supposed to be the way of the future. Yet I've seen two
    instances where LED lamps were relaced with more conventional lighting.
    What's going on?

Last December/January I went on a cruise, and the ship had replaced its
    halogen spotlights in a particular hallway between cabins with LED lamps. I
    think that all the other hallways where the cabins were had similar LED
    lamps. Six months later I was on the same ship again and in the same
    hallway the LED lamps were gone, replaced by more conventional halogen spot
    lamps. There were halogen lamps in all the other hallways between cabins
    that I visited. There was still a LED lamp in my cabin though, as there was
    last time, although it was a different cabin.

Also, my local shopping centre had a strip of LED lights in the new section
    that would provide indirect lighting by illuminating the ceiling with
    different colours. Today I went back to the shopping centre and the LEDs
    were replaced with flourescent lighting.

What's happening here?

Liron

2. TKM

TKM Guest

I agree. As one of the organizers of the Lighting for Tomorrow Residential
    Luminaire Design Competition, I can tell you that we saw as many LED
    luminaires submitted this year as in previous years and were surprised since
    luminaire sales (mostly because of slow residential construction) were down.
    There were also numerous screw-in products that tried to mimic incandescent
    lamps which we did not see last year.

But, performance matters and the number of good-quality, high-performance
    LED products is still quite limited and costs are not coming down very
    rapidly. There's serious competition among LED and conventional downlight
    products and a few MR and PAR lamp replacements though.

Terry McGowan

3. Jeff Jonas

Jeff Jonas Guest

LED lighting is supposed to be the way of the future. Yet I've seen two
    A movie theatre near me (Linden NJ) seems to have used LED under plastic strips
    for a neon-look outside the theatre.
    Large sections are already dead, others have chunks missing.
    Genuine neon tubing would've been better.

4. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Guest

There hasn't been such a big lull on this site for a long time....It's
    time to check in with some interesting comments. Did anybody's projects
    get fouled up by the bulb ban?

5. Guest

A lot has changed (for the better IMHO) with LED based lighting products in the last year. Most of the
    innovation has been from China from my observations anyway. The things that the engineering and manufacturing
    teams are continually trying to improve upon are 1) the dispersation angle of the available LEDs are too
    narrow, and 2) the LED light output per chip needs enhanced, plus 3) incorporating changes to help resolve or
    at least improve on issues from #1&#2 without increasing costs to prospective buyers. A possible 4) might be:
    Making "plug and play" LED products of a wide variety to allow potential displacement of the older
    incandescant, CFLs and T-XX fluorescents as they fail and need replacing. Of course the LED replacement has
    to be as bright as what it replaces, which wasn't the case very often not too long ago but now you can get
    units that sellers will gaurantee performance and reliability for up to 2 years. You have to pay attention to
    the light output per LED and how many of these are included per replacement unit.

I just purchased 2 LED floods that contained 78 LEDs per bulb, anf the LEDs were "3 chip" units that contain 3
    LEDs (white in my case...). I have seen up to 5 chip individual LEDs, plus there are also "Luxeon Clones"
    that get more output by driving the chips harder and building a heat sink into the product to dissapate the
    heat. The floods I bought were clearly marked to be equivilent to a 60 watt halogen in terms of light output,
    in practice they seem to be as bright as the others only at a higher color temp. They are noticably "whiter",
    ok for my application and I could have purchased a "warm white" unit for roughly the same cost as I recall.
    All of the replacements used 110v a.c. although 220v a.c. were available also. The pair cost me 23.00$
    including shipping.

To summarize, it seems to me that the "LED Lighting Industry" which includes the big name corporations may
    have kept their LED R&D going but no real emphasis on taking the narkets from competing technologies (maybe
    because they already have older technology products heavily entrenched in those markets???). However, those
    companies with no "conflict of interest" due to being a manufacturer of competing technologies are continuing
    to develop at a rate much more focused most notably the chinese companies. These have evolved from a simple
    manufacturer of copycat discreet LEDs to developing necessary technologies that allow them the ability to
    compete and sometimes offer discreet LEDs with enhancements not available elsewhere, and using these to offer
    higher level products that can perform as well as if not better than the older technologies. The slightly
    higher entry level prices are easily returned to the buyer in energy savings over the life of the product. The
    consumer can buy discreet LEDs, LED replacements for direct replacement of older technologies, and even
    complete products like desk lamps, trouble lights, flashlights, etc., from the same supplier via ebay using
    paypal. This evolution has transpired mostly in the last year or less. Somehow, I get the feeling that
    LEDs, LED technology development, and LED products are poised to capture the ever expanding lighting market
    space. regards, Joe.

6. Leung

Leung

Jan 2, 2010
    I think LED cost will be down rapidly in 2010 as the production increase and technogy improvement going on.

7. Phil in england

Phil in england

Jan 3, 2010
    LED life can be largely determined by the drive current applied to the diode throughout its life. I've had equipment with LEDS running at their maximum current and seen some fail in a relatively short time space. On the other hand, as a school kid, in the early 70's I made a digital clock running with 3MM leds and 7-seg displays and it has been running since 1974 non-stop, and to this day all the LEDs are still working, That's over 300,000 hours - one of the reasons they are still all alive I'm sure is because I made a point of designing the circuity so at most, they are running at a maximum of only 80% of the stated maximum drive current. Maybe it's that today, "power leds" for lighting are used with inadequate cooling are are overdriven in an attempt to gain more brightness. A bad practice, though I can appreciate the commercial appeal of doing this.

8. jencentre

jencentre

Jan 27, 2010
    Surely in instances such as these, it comes down to price and practically like I suppose with everything nowadays.

9. olloe1

olloe1

Jan 28, 2010
    Day Running Light

1. High quality DRL according EU decree
    2. IC driving dedicated for LED
    3. PWM for brightness adjustment
    4. Advanced digital signal processing chip(DSP)

Recently we have developed day running light as the above according to European Commission policy that all the cars before 2011 should be fitted with DRL, it will promote the driving safety greatly.

For your reference it saves energy a lot only about 10% energy consumption of general headlight. At the present Italy and Poland and some other countries are carrying out this decree.

You can also communicate with me for detailed information through MSN or Email. About more product pictures, welcome to visit our web.

Warm Regards

Ada Yao

Business Salesman
    Foreign Trade Dep.
    Guangzhou OLLO Electronic Technology Co. Ltd
    Tel:86-020-84268116
    Fax:86-020-84268100
    MSN:eek:

10. olloe1

olloe1

Jan 28, 2010
    Day Running Light

1. High quality DRL according EU decree
    2. IC driving dedicated for LED
    3. PWM for brightness adjustment
    4. Advanced digital signal processing chip(DSP)

Recently we have developed day running light as the above according to European Commission policy that all the cars before 2011 should be fitted with DRL, it will promote the driving safety greatly.

For your reference it saves energy a lot only about 10% energy consumption of general headlight. At the present Italy and Poland and some other countries are carrying out this decree.

You can also communicate with me for detailed information through MSN or Email. About more product pictures, welcome to visit our web.

Warm Regards

Ada Yao

Business Salesman
    Foreign Trade Dep.
    Guangzhou OLLO Electronic Technology Co. Ltd
    Tel:86-020-84268116
    Fax:86-020-84268100
    MSN:eek:

11. julies

julies

Apr 9, 2010
    Hi, This problem arriving due to price. We are getting LED bulbs at very lease price. If you get quality LED bulbs then you will never get these problem am sure. Available some lighting products like Fluorescent Worklight,LED Interior Bulb, Halogen Bulbs and more.

Ask a Question