Connect with us

Why I prefer electronics to plumbing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Members Lounge' started by BobK, Jan 26, 2016.

1. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    This morning, I found that the drain for the washing machine had cracked leaving water all over the floor. A typical plumbing emergency.

So naturally, I went to my well-stocked hat rack and put on my plumbing hat.

The connection into the drain pipe was old iron pipe. The old fitting did not want to come apart. First, I tried to pry it with an old wooden handled screwdriver. This bent the screwdriver and cracked the handle. Finally, I managed to unscrew the old fitting by using a crowbar, sitting on the floor with my feet braced against the wall, and pretending I was on the rowing machine. And I got it off and the threads were undamaged. Victory was surely near.

All I had to do now was find the equivalent PVC fittings to make a new trap and up tube into which the washer would drain.

First trip to Lowes: With the help of a grumpy "associate", I do find the right fittings. Wow, this is looking good. My lovely wife Morticia asked if I needed to buy the PVC primer and cement. I said no, I was certain I had these at home.

So I get home and the primer had evaporated leaving nothing but purple dust, and the cement has cemented itself quite effectively to the can.

Second trip to Lowes: Simple, I just get the new primer and cement. I need enough for 3 joints but the smallest cans they sell are enough for about 300. Oh well, that is expected.

So I cement together the 3 pieces (an adaptor, a straight piece and an elbow. Then I go to put it on. I cannot screw it into the drain because, unlike the iron elbow, the PVC one is larger and interferes with another pipe.

Third trip to Lowes: I buy an new adaptor and trap since I have ruined both of them.

This time, Morticia coaxes (or maybe coaches) me to dry fit it all before gluing so nothing can go wrong. I do and everything fits. So I take it apart, and proceed to glue the wrong straight pieces into the two parts of the trap. Another trap ruined.

Fourth trip to Lowes: I buy the last trap of its kind in stock, and I am overcome with dread. This is my last chance!

I dry fit it again and this time I actually notice what fits where, when I take it apart. I glue it together, and finally, the drain works, and I (actually, Morticia) can use the washing machine again. Good thing, since we need to wash all the blankets and towels we used to wipe up the basement floor.

Bob

Supercap2F, Osmium, (*steve*) and 3 others like this.
  2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    ohhhh man .... been there occasionally, not necessarily with plumbing tho

good story :)

3. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Thankfully when electronics go wrong we don't have to mop up spilled electrons all over the floor... Although I always had fun as a kid collecting electrons from the carpet to share with my family.

hevans1944 and 73's de Edd like this.
  4. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    I'm sure on the plumbing forum their are similar posts as to why they prefer plumbing.

Good story Bob.
    Btw, Put your primer and glue cans into a good quality zip-lock bag. It will keep it from drying out.

5. dorke

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
    @Bob : "Morticia" ?
    The Addams family , one of the best ....
    which part do you play? must be the "Thing" ,
    a true Hand(y) man;)

BobK likes this.
  6. chopnhack

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
    Just wasn't your day... But at least its done! ;)

I find this happens to me too, especially on work I haven't done in awhile but am confident in since I have done projects of that nature in the past and then... disaster strikes!!

Took me well over an hour to run a single conductor in 5' of conduit to an attic j-box and terminate a new GFCI outlet in a handy box.... embarrassingly slow over here :oops:

7. rickselectricalprojects

rickselectricalprojects

Feb 1, 2015
    Electricians would can across a spider or two now and then. Maybe even the occasional dead rat?
    Plumbers would have to deal with clogged portable toilets:p

8. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Where to I buy stock in Lowe's?
    Did you ask 'Tish' to speak French to you after you were finished with the repair job. (Another Addams Family reference, to Gomez and Morticia)
    I think you were entitled to some appreciation after all that work.

9. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Look at my picture! I am Gomez. We actually won 3rd place in a costume contest last Halloween.

Bob

10. dorke

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
    Ha yes,
    I had Raul Julia on my mind...

Julia.jpg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  11. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I'll bite. Enough of Gomez, where's the picture of your beautiful Morticia?
    (And it better not be one of her doing the laundry)
    Let's see some proof that you two earned 3rd prize with a picture of the two of you at that competition.

12. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    shrtrnd and Osmium like this.
  13. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Thanks for the reminder. (And picture)
    Angelica Huston and Carolyn Jones have met their match in your Morticia.
    I think Friday was actually 'Wednesday', but you were all at the bar and maybe a little too tipsy to remember that.
    If you run into Pugsley there sometime, tell him Uncle Fester says hello.

14. Y2KEDDIE

Y2KEDDIE

Sep 23, 2012
    Before putting away: primer, glue, even paint....feed a hose from your unlite propane torch into the can for a few seconds. The propane (heavier than air ), will force the air out of he container and will keep the contents from evaporating. I use nitrogen because I have it on hand for other work, its safer than propane. Still, propane is relatively safe (often used as a propellant in spay paint cans.

chopnhack and Tha fios agaibh like this.
  15. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    Well, kinda... i don't like the mess coin cell batteries and capacitors make after exploding lol

16. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    five attempts at replacing a washer in a tap and I find out I need a reseating tool..... seriously..... why did no one tell me til now?

17. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hahaha .... yup, no point replacing a washer without doing a reseating ;)

18. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    Bob, I began laughing just from reading your title. I think we're related! :p

Chris

19. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    @donkey Before replacing faucet washer, discard the faucet and replace it with valves that use "O"-ring seals. You may thank me a few years down the road, or curse me when you can't find the right size "O"-ring and have to replace the faucet again.:p

Ask a Question