Connect with us

Why are these triacs connected to the neutral instead of the line?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Marcos198225, Mar 21, 2021.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Marcos198225

Marcos198225

Mar 10, 2021
    Hello friends, first of all excuse my English I am from Spain and I am not a native English speaker, this main board is from a dolce gusto coffee maker and what intrigues me is to know why these two triacs are connected to the neutral line instead of the live line because as far as I know the live line is the one that carries the current.
    Here I made a little video showing the board, thank you very much.
    Triac question.jpg

https://photos.app.goo.gl/F9o3fLVSWPgWM95J9

Moderators note : uploaded file and inserted inline

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2021
  2. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    Both conductors, live and neutral carry the same current.
    Electrically speaking, there is no difference in which line the control is in.
    If this is a two conductor fed machine, i.e. no GND conductor and is double insulated appliance, it really makes no difference.
    Hint AC is Alternating Current, IOW the current alternates direction in each supply conductor 50 (or 60) times/sec

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    Martaine2005 and Marcos198225 like this.
  3. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Holla Marcos,
    bienvenido a Electronicspoint.

Mains outlets in Spain do not have a dedicated neutral and live socket. You can insert the plug any way you want, thus swapping neutral and live.
    For safety reasons always assume that either of the two wires may be live, depending on the orientation of the plug in the mains outlet.

4. Marcos198225

Marcos198225

Mar 10, 2021
    Holaaa, thank you very much guys for your help, now I have it clearer, thank you.

Ask a Question