Connect with us

Why 0.1% resistors needed in opamp cct?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by eem2am, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Scroll to continue with content
  1. eem2am

eem2am

Aug 3, 2009
    Hello, the following is an opamp (differential amplifier) which is amplifying a sense resistor voltage by x100.

http://i45.tinypic.com/72tvsi.jpg

....why are 0.1% resistors needed?....on the simulator, 1% errors in the resistors don't give big changes in op amp output.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Who said they were needed?

3. eem2am

eem2am

Aug 3, 2009
    I've heard lots of engineers (not at this forum) saying that 0.1% are needed.

4. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Why do they say they are required?

5. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    What gauge and kind of wire or pc board traces do these so called engineers use that would not effect the accuracy of said resistors at that level? I mean seriously a few inches of traces on a PC board would whack a low value resistor all to heck at that level of accuracy...

6. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    The point is, if experts on other forums have suggested this, then why hasn't this question been asked of them?

I would be pretty amazed if I said something here and people on another forum were asked (rather than me) to explain it.

Also, haven't I seen that schematic somewhere else? Is there another thread? Why is this a new thread? I'm thinking there may be relevant information in that thread. At the very least the OP could have provided a link back to it for background information.

Ask a Question