Connect with us

Who is?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Twodio, Jul 18, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Twodio

Twodio

May 17, 2013
    Hi guys.
    I'm searching a rework station that works with SMD and Normal components but i cant found one that i can buy now?
    Anyone know some cheapest device ?
    Under of 50U$ if possible, on DX.COM i found somes costing 80U$.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I guess you mean you want a rework station with hot air, and a soldering iron.

Under $50 is a big ask. If you already have a soldering iron, perhaps you don't need another one.

3. Twodio

Twodio

May 17, 2013
    I need to repair my toshiba nec-tokin

4. Twodio

Twodio

May 17, 2013
    Hot air gun

Hi.
    I get the smd tantalum capacitors that i needed and now i'm preparing myself to solder it on board where i removed the nec tokin, but i haven't reworking station and use iron isn't a good idea, just remain the hot air gun that i think is good enought to remove and place again any smd that i want.
    But have one "what if".
    It's if i place hot air gun under of capacitor until the solder melts can damage the capacitor or the board? in the other side of this board and in same place there a processor.

Bad english :/

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Is this related to some earlier thread? It seems like you're assuming we know what you're doing.

If you're replacing a capacitor, use a small nozzle on the rework tool so you don't heat up other components too much (mostly to avoid melting the solder and blowing them off the board). Also have the air speed low enough that you don't risk blowing components around if you do accidentally melt solder on them.

In general, and long as you;re reasonably quick, the component will not be damaged by you soldering it this way. In production, the thermal cycle lasts several minutes. Hand re-working a single component should be much faster.

Also, it is very unlikely that you will heat the other side of the board enough to melt solder on it unless there are heaps of vias and/or you're pumping a lot of heat into the board.

If you're concerned, it may be faster and easier to use a regular soldering iron unless the board is very densely packed or the component is very small.

6. Twodio

Twodio

May 17, 2013
    I already taked out the nec tokin, i just need to align de capacitors and solder.

Ask a Question