Connect with us

Who gets there first!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by superheterodyne, Aug 2, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. superheterodyne

superheterodyne

Aug 2, 2017
    Hello all guru's, I hope you might be able to help me out?

I've been given the task of building/buying a circuit that is able to indicate who can reach the top speed in a static bicycle pedalling race.
    The premise is simple enough; three cyclists mount their respective bikes and pedal like fury!

The person reaching a/the desired speed will light an L.E.D or something similar indicating their winning the "race"

I have no idea where to start with this conundrum. I have a feeling this request may have to be turned down!!!

Any thoughts?

Regards

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    That is an odd kind of contest. A stationary bike, (at least the ones I have tried) do not have that much inertia. The time to reach top speed would likely be no more than a few seconds, maybe even less than a second.

Bob

3. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Connect a simple generator to the driven wheel. Measure the voltage output and feed it to a comparator.

When the speed reaches a preset point it can be arranged to light a lamp (and lockout the other bikes from triggering it).

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I would measure the frequency. There are several analog ways of doing that.

The main issue is component tolerances, because these may cause one circuit to read higher than the other.

A digital circuit that waits until it sees more than a certain number of pulses in a given time (most easily accomplished by measuring the time between pulses and looking for a period of time in which no period between pulses is greater than 1/f (where f is the frequency corresponding to the target speed)

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    On second thoughts, a race to a specific distance makes more sense. That way you simply count revolutions of the wheel and see who gets to a particular count first.

kellys_eye likes this.
  6. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    I agree with Bob; the race as described would be very short. But if that really is the thing, then a tach sensor on each bike, three level comparators, and a 3-input game show circuit to latch the winner.

ak

Ask a Question