Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Who can fix my IPOD Touch?

doublebogey

Sep 24, 2012
Willing to pay someone to repair my Ipod touch Gen.4 It needed a battery, so I bought one. I ruined the screen when i took it apart so I bought a screen. I broke the volume and on-off button ribbon cable when I took the screen off. I don't have the ribbon cable. I broke the tiny wire at the bottom. Long story short I should have just sent it away. Now if I send it away, they're going to charge me for the battery and the digitizer screen. All I really need for parts is the ribbon cable for the volume/on off cable. Is anybody into this? Thanks

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Well you face a dilemma here that anyone offering to repair has to address upfront... You have taken it apart and admit to having got a little in over your head and made issues worse... That being said at this point, if someone was to take you up on a repair you have to accept that there might very well be more damage then just the single ribbon cable, resulting in extra repairs or a still non-functional unit...

Also, I don't know what a local repair shop will charge but shipping to and from will add money to the repair as well as the above stated possibility that there is more repair needed...

If you would like I can discuss this with you a little more and I 'might' be interested in helping you out but since I don't do Apple repairs and would have to order any parts it will likely take weeks to get turned around and back to you...

Sinewave

Feb 15, 2013
I was asked to repair someones iPhone once.

All they got back was a bag of many peices, they're not very modular and don't like being taken apart.

pwdixon

Oct 14, 2012
It has always seemed to me that the Ipod touch was a fragile creature, the number of kids (and even some adults) I know who have smashed the screen is ridiculous, as an engineer I would be ashamed if I turned out such a easily damaged piece of kit.

Here in the uk Apple do a roaring trade in fixing Ipods, it appears that you have to book an appointment at you local Apple shop and they seem to charge something like £50 to swap in a new screen. I'm not sure how they would take to a broken unit that has obviously been home fixed and needed more attention, I would guess they would just quote warranty and send you away but it might be an option wherever you live.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I agree Apple products are not user friendly to take apart, and even though I don't work on them doesn't mean I haven't worked on them... I have taken a few apart and know what to expect in that regards... After that it's all that same inside...

It looks as though a replacement ribbon cable is about $7-$10 or so so assuming that is all that is wrong the parts cost isn't all that bad, if there is a screwed up connector or something the repair cost will skyrocket...

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I have been inside my iPhones. Neither are particularly hard to disassemble and aside from the fact that they use very small surface mount components and there is a lot of shielding, they haven't gone out of their way to make it particularly hard to work on them.

The trick is knowing how to correctly take them apart, and often how to disconnect the various connectors inside.