Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Whirlpool oven heating very slowly

Alyssa Brianne

Jan 11, 2017
I have a whirlpool stove/oven that's about 9 years old now. The broiler element stopped working quite a few years ago but we didn't do anything about it, we never used the broiler so it was forgotten about. A few years later, sick of food not cooking properly, we bought an oven thermometer to test the temperature. We discovered that when the oven beeped to say it was up to temperature, say 350°F, it would only be at 150°F - 200°F. If left to heat longer, 20-30 minutes, it would come to the correct temperature. We figured it was because the broiler element didn't work, and just lived with the slow heating oven.

Just recently we tested the broiler element, the thermostat, fuse, and there was nothing wrong with them. We had also been having problems with the timer and clock, so we replaced the control board. Now the broiler works, but when heating the oven for baking, it still takes just as long to heat up as it did before. Is this a different problem? Or is this just how my oven will always heat up? My in-laws have an oven that's similar to ours (but not a whirlpool) and their oven heats up in 5-10 minutes, not the half hour or longer it takes for our oven. Anyone run into this before?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
We should know if you have a gas, or an electric stove/oven.
and if you give us a model number, it'll help us help you.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
The bulb of the thermostat takes it's temperature input from the back upper wall of the oven.
Did you place your thermometer there?
I'm guessing not. More likely sitting on a shelf.
The fact that it equalises after a period confirms temp control is ok.

There is more to how long it takes for the oven to heat other than the element.
What is the condition of the front door gasket?
Normally sealed at sides and top but bottom open.
Is it a fan forced oven?
Is there sufficient convection into and out of the oven? i.e. is it shoved back into a cupboard with nowhere for air to circulate.
Using large trays inside the oven that take up nearly all the shelf space will tend to slow down proper convection.
What is the condition of the insulation around the oven chamber inner casing.(probably unknown)

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Good points Bluejets. I would also have the line voltage checked when the oven is heating up. If its low, the wattage will be less.

There could be a problem with the thermostat bulb or its capillary tube.
There's often a calibration screw on the thermostat that can be adjusted to match the actual temperature. Be careful if you fiddle with it, moving it a tiny amount can change it a lot.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
The oven I have now is gas, but EVERYTHING in it is electrically controlled.
My last oven (all electric) did the same thing yours is doing now.
It had two different heating elements, the broiler and the oven.
I pulled the oven element, cleaned the electrical contacts on it (where it connects to the electrical contacts),
and that got it going properly again. May not be your problem, but maybe worth a try.

Last edited:

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Sounds like two separate problems; One with the thermostat circuit, and one with getting power to the element. The latter could be a number of things such as:
Insufficient voltage at the power outlet, insufficient wire size wire to stove circuit causing a voltage drop under load. A bad connection inside stove such as corrosion, loose terminals, relay contacts, wiring, ...etc.
If you don't see the element glowing bright orange you probably have a poor connection somewhere.