Connect with us

Which Soldering iron should I get please?

Discussion in 'Project Construction Technologies' started by mikehende, May 13, 2021.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. mikehende

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
    Hey guys. Yesterday I went to Home Depot to look for a Soldering iron for my general speaker repair projects. I am confused about the "Standard, light and Medium duty" variations.

This is the one I bought in the attached image.

but this is the one I would like:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weller-40-Watt-LED-Soldering-Iron-Kit-SP40NKUS/204195330

because it has the 3 tips option and the 3 lights which should make seeing what's to be soldered even better. My main question is does it mean the 60 watt version will heat up faster than the 40 watt version so should be the better option please?

Attached Files:

2. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    Yes, The 60watt should heat faster but will get much hotter. You should size your soldering iron on the temperature you need based on the application.

For delicate soldering on small components a 15Watt iron may be ideal. If you used a 65watt iron it would burn the heck out of everything.
    For soldering of lead in stained glass you may want a 60watt or larger iron.
    For soldering plumbing fittings or mechanical joints you may need 200watts. If you tried to use the 15watt iron it wouldn't be able to heat the larger surface area.

For soldering speakers wires that 40watt iron will probably serve you well.

mikehende likes this.
  3. mikehende

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
    Thank you, what is worrying me about the 40watts is I have an old Radio Shack one which was taking forever to heat up the solder joint on a speaker connector yesterday which is why I had to go get that one. Can I expect this Weller 40watt to give the same results like the old Radio Shack one?

Attached Files:

4. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    Wattage is only part of the story. The weller looks like it has better tips and using the chisel tip should work better for speakers than the conical tip on the Radio Shack. Plus the weller tips (at least 2 out of the 3, can't tell about the 3rd one) use a true iron tip which should get eaten up far slower than the nickel plated copper on the Radio Shack, so should stay consistent for far longer.

It is probable that the main issue using the Radio Shack iron was the tip condition, 40W is plenty for soldering speakers unless you are using massive (low gauge) wire that is 'sinking the heat away. If that is the case, it's this powerful a system, I'd consider using spade connectors to the speaker instead of soldering if possible, in case the speaker gets blown out then it will be easier to swap out.

HellasTechn and mikehende like this.
  5. mikehende

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
    Sometimes we need to solder 12 guage wires which is what we were working on yesterday.

6. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    What will it's use be ? I mean do you want to work on circuit boards or just solder wires ?

I work mostly on PCB's and i bought this ATTEN SA-50 solder iron. It is a cheap one that can accept a variety of soldering tips to suit your needs and has a temperature control knob. Good value for money if you ask me. Plus there is a 220V and 110V version.

7. mikehende

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
    No circuit board as I cannot do any sort of micro soldering, only for joining speaker wires and connecting to speaker terminals usually.

You read my mind, I was looking at this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164287247473?hash=item2640487471:g:Mm0AAOSwH-lfCy~x

but I am thinking since the Weller 60 watt worked great then maybe just get the different tips for it if they should be available?

8. bertus

bertus Moderator

Nov 8, 2019
    Hello,

I am quite happy with the Antex TCS soldering iron.
    It has temperature regulation in the handle.

Bertus

Attached Files:

9. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    Sure, why not ?
    That is up to your personal taste, budget and availability. like everything else :).
    1 vote goes to the ATTEN from me :)

10. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    I am in love with the Bevel Tip !
    https://www.ellsworthadhesives.co.uk/selecting-appropriate-soldering-tip-application/

11. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    For that isolated use on 12ga wire, I would consider a gun style iron, and then more wattage isn't necessarily a problem as long as you don't cook the terminal too long.

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-9400PKS-Universal-Soldering-Lighting/dp/B00CLU255A

12. WHONOES

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
    Most speakers use spade terminals either 6mm or 4.8mm. You would be better off buying a crimp tool and the appropriate connectors.
    Soldering joints creates creates a fracture junction and in a high vibration situation may break.
    This is what I use and have done so for many years.
    The crimp tools are not horribly expensive these days particularly if you get a Chinese made one, and will probably be cheaper than a good solder iron.

13. adir figueiredo

adir figueiredo

Apr 18, 2015
    weller ou hakko

14. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    A common soldering mistake I have seen is when someone holds the iron and solder on simultaneously while the joint heats up....waiting for the solder to melt. The solder itself will draw the heat away.
    It is better to place the iron and then give the joint time to heat up. Then, dab the solder on the joint rather than the iron. If the solder does not flow, wait until the joint is hot enough.

Not a bad plan to pre-solder the end of the wire first; before moving on to solder it to the terminal. A considerable amount of solder will get wicked into the wire if its stranded.

I do agree a mechanical lug such as a spade connector is probably a better choice for connecting 12awg wire.

15. mikehende

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
    All great advice guys, I appreciate it!

Ask a Question