Connect with us

Which Pre-amp please?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Shortcircuit, Oct 23, 2009.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Shortcircuit

Shortcircuit

Oct 22, 2009
    As a UK based ‘Non-Techie’ please, may I have the benefit of your advice on a Pre-amp? Some 30 odd years ago I bought a top of the range ‘Sansui’ amp (120 watts RMS) per channel Receiver/ Amp. with a then top of the range ‘Dual’ direct drive turntable, using a top of the range ‘Shure’ magnetic cartridge and nude semi-elliptic diamond stylus, which worked brilliantly.

Sadly the capacitors eventually dried out in the Sansui and I was forced to replace, this I did it with a circa. 10 year old Kenwood (Integrated AV) amp. Model V3700. The rated power output (DIN) 1 kHz at 8Ω = 100w+100w (Which will doubtlessly mean more to you than me!)

My CD drive works well with this amp, so I connected my old turntable via the normal phono plug into the amp. But the playback quality is awful! A friend of mine has suggested the reason for this is the poor quality of the Kenwood amp doesn’t require a quality signal from the CD drive, but old analogue turntables and magnetic cartridges need a quality signal from a pre-amp to sound acceptable.

If this be the case, I need your kind advice to source the most appropriate pre-amp for the job? Please advise what pre-amp I should/ could consider for this application, with any reasons to support this purchase, for which I offer my grateful thanks in advance.

Best .. Shortcircuit :)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    I don't know what "level" your ears are at and what "awful" actually means, so it's an open question if there's something specificly wrong with the Kenwood or if there's just a slight "incompatibility". It was hard to find any reviews about it on the net.
    Good RIAA preamplifiers would expectedly require very careful designing.
    I'd guess you could find more qualified opinions on forums like www.avforums.com or www.avsforum.com etc.

3. Shortcircuit

Shortcircuit

Oct 22, 2009
    Thanks for your reply, it's very difficult to decribe/ define one's level of audible acceptabilty. My hearing was very sharp in my teens and twenties, but as the years have passed it's only average today. That said I'm not in any way impaired, that's apart from a little tinitus: the usual very high pitch tone one only hears late at night when all is quite. :rolleyes:

I can only say that 'Awful' in this sense means the noise to signal ration was unaccepatable with table rumble and hiss. I'm certainly not wanting to consider the cost of a custom design pre-amp - heaven forbid! I'm told there are a number of ready built models, and it's recommendations on choosing one of these I'm seeking.

Thanks your for your suggestion on seeking help from: www.avforums.com or www.avsforum.com etc. I'll give this a try.

Best.. Shortcircuit :)

Ask a Question