Connect with us

Which Microcontroller to Choose

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by Rohit Thakaran, Jan 26, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Rohit Thakaran

Rohit Thakaran

Jan 26, 2017
    Hello, I am a mechanical engineering graduate and I am looking interested in a career in the automotive industry in the field of electronic control systems. I know how to program in C but I am very new to embedded systems. I would like to get some advice on picking out a starter kit that would help me develop the skills that I need to land a junior-level role as an embedded software engineer or control systems engineer at an automotive company. Some things that I'd like to learn are: communication protocols (CAN, UART, I2C, SPI, TCP/IP), RTOSs. I am helping out with the Formula SAE team at my school and they use a Microchip dsPIC33EV256GM106. My only problem with getting this kit is that there is not much information on the web (eg. tutorials, help) so it is difficult for me to learn on my own. I'd like to get a microcontroller kit (preferrably Microchip) that would allow me to learn the topics listed above and that has lots of support which would make it possible for a new user to learn him or herself. Thank you

2. ag273n

ag273n

Nov 24, 2016
    a Pic Kit 3 is a good one... with microcontrollers there's 2 big brands - atmel and Microchip.. MicroChip developed Pic Kit 3 - their third version of microcontroller programmer. UART, I2C, SPI - are stuff you will learn by trying out the tutorials. One step at a time.

3. Amar Dhore

Amar Dhore

Dec 2, 2015
    Well being from the Mechanical background and if I want to do small project in electronics, I would have gone with Arduino (easy to use) but as you mentioned you want to make a career in controls system. I would start at dsPIC series.

Google is a powerful tool: http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/dspic-evaluation-board/18620. This is a dsPIC development kit. When I was in final year of my engineering, I bough a PIC with DIP package and used a bread board. I ordered bunch Caps, registers, PICKit etc and I build my development board. Either way is good. Microchip has a tons of resources and application notes. Their forum is always active and upto date.

To get the resources about CAN,UART etc you have top open a datasheet of the microcontroller and when you go to the section lets say UART, it says in there for more information/APP note go to this document.

They also started a wiki page tutorial and I am not sure how upto date this is:
    http://microchip.wikidot.com/16bit:architecture

Hope it helps.

--
    Amar

Ask a Question