Connect with us

Which MC should I get?

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by MrJohn, May 22, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. MrJohn

MrJohn

May 21, 2014
    I'm after one that I can change variables by pressing a button on my project and these variables are then saved into the chip's flash memory, the MC also has to be able to store at leaset 1 .mp3 file. Also needs an internal timer

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Microcontrollers don't have buttons.

Their internal storage is often quite limited (you might interface it to an SD card for that amount of storage.

All microcontrollers have some form of timer.

3. MrJohn

MrJohn

May 21, 2014
    I meant the buttons are separate and are connected to the controller itself. Can I change the controllers stored variables by just the pressing the button?

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Yeah, sure. With some microcontrolers the values will be lost if the power is turned off, others can store data in eeprom or flash memory.

5. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    How big an MP3 file? Some microcontrollers come with as much as 256KB of program memory, which can be used to store static data. You can also get external flash chips that interface via SPI which could hold your .MP3 and would be simpler than using an SD card. Also, what do you want to do with the .MP3? if you expect to decode and play it, you will need a very powerful microcontroller.

Bob

6. chopnhack

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
    Might you be better served with an SBC like a Raspberry Pi? More storage space and possibly easier to interface with.

7. MrJohn

MrJohn

May 21, 2014
    which powerful microcontroller would you suggest?

8. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    256kb would be good for some seconds ( maybe ~ 30sec) of a low quality mono audio mp3 file

the average song (~3 minutes) in stereo at the usual sample rate of 44kHz is going to be ~ 3.5MB

so 256kb aint going to help much

Dave

9. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    You have not answered my questions.

Bob

10. OLIVE2222

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
Ask a Question