Connect with us

Which end can I cut off a USB-OTG cable?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by moeburn, May 19, 2014.

1. moeburn

moeburn

Jun 25, 2012
    So you know your standard USB-OTG cable, which allows you to connect a USB device to a smartphone or tablet or something with only a micro-usb port:

[​IMG]

So I've fashioned one onto an old Xbox-Original game controller, basically I've made a DIY GameKlip so I can play games on my phone with a proper controller:

[​IMG]

But the cable is kinda ghetto. The Xbox controller originally had a proprietary connector which used the USB standard, so I cut it off (extremely short) and replaced it with a proper USB connector (sure enough it works in a PC, even though it is not designed to). Then I plug that USB connector into the USB-OTG cable, and I plug that USB-OTG cable into my phone. The whole set up looks pretty stupid.

I was wondering if I could just cut off the female USB socket end off the OTG cable, and solder it directly to the game controller's board, or if that would break the OTG-ness of the cable? I know that a USB-OTG cable is very very different from just soldering a regular female USB socket to a regular male USB Micro-B connector - the latter would simply not work on a smartphone.

Now this diagram suggests that the magic of an OTG cable is a simple short on the Micro-B male plug end:

[​IMG]

Although I have seen other examples. Some OTG cables use a SMT resistor instead of a 0ohm short, something about signalling to be a charge+host cable, some are split cables that also use a resistor but different values...

My question is, if I cut off the female socket side, and just solder the OTG cable's wires directly to the USB wire coming out of the game controller, will it work? Does anyone have experience with OTG cables? Is the "magic OTG stuff" always on the male micro-B connector side?

Thanks for any help!

2. davpankhur

davpankhur

Jun 5, 2014
    the otg cables are like $1 - so it should cost you $2 to try it out twice :)

Although, I believe the magic side is the micro-usb end, the one that connects to your phone - i think when you connect the otg cable to your phone (without the controller connected), the pins configured the way they are, or maybe via a resister, makes the phone realise that a OTG cable is connect and so the phone knows to get ready to send power down the line... im going from basic logic here...

Ask a Question