Connect with us

Which cad/cam tool produces Temporary Solder Mask for PCB?

Discussion in 'CAD' started by Valentin Tihomirov, Oct 5, 2003.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Specifically, is it possible with Ultiboard, Protel DXP?
  2. Leon Heller

    Leon Heller Guest

    Can't you just define a new layer, with the solder mask you need? I can
    do this with Pulsonix.

  3. What is a *temporary* soldermask?
  4. Over an edge-connector, for example. It gets peeled off or otherwise
    removed after wave-soldering. Also to leave holes open for parts that
    are installed later for some reason.

    *Any* competent PCB program should be able to do that. Just assign a
    layer to it and modify the appropriate component footprints to have
    solder mask where you want it.

    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany
  5. Sporkman

    Sporkman Guest

    I've never heard of Ultiboard, but certainly Protel has that
    capability. Agree with Spehro who said any competent PWB layout
    software should be able to do that. Even very early (DOS-based)
    versions of OrCAD could do it. Tpically you just specify a pad

  6. ahhh.. that makes more sense .. I use Protel and all I do is to draw a fill
    on a mechanical layer. you can cover selected portions easily that way..
    and join them so they peal easily.. (having 50 tiny blobs of silicon is
    just as bad as filling the holes). Usually there's only a few holes so this
    isn't a problem.

    Just dedicate one of the mechanical layers to the task and tell the PCB
    manufacturer (or generate a Gerber). With Protel you can even rename the
    layer to "pealable solder mask" if you like.

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day