Connect with us

Where would I Get My Hands On....

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Radiant, Sep 25, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Radiant


    Sep 25, 2015
    A lamp or somethings similar that can restrict light to very low levels. Basically, a with really low dimmer - to the point where your eyes can only see shape; not color. I want to test my visual thresholds.

    The problem is that I lack the terminology to search for something like this. Thanks.
  2. Old Steve

    Old Steve

    Jul 23, 2015
    If you want a lack of light, why not just block the light source to the room, only allowing a tiny, adjustable bit of light in?
    For this, using a lamp to add light, you'd already need to blacken the room totally anyway.

    Otherwise, a standard dimmer, with a very small bulb in a fully enclosed lampshade that only lets a tiny bit of light pass through.
  3. duke37


    Jan 9, 2011
    A LED can have its light reduced by controlling the current. This will maintain the colour which a filament lamp will not do. It is surpising how a LED can be seen with very little current.

    Try a LED in series with a 1k resistor and 10k potentiometer supplied with 9V.

    I would be interested in you results and the ability to adapt to low light levels.
    (*steve*) likes this.
  4. Radiant


    Sep 25, 2015
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day