Connect with us

where to start

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by efan, Jan 16, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. efan

efan

Jan 16, 2014
    I've been pondering this issue for sometime, hopefully I will get a push/kick in the right direction. Using a hub dynamo I would like to control the resistance(?) / load(?)applied to the dynamo to reduce the rotational speed of the wheel, I would like to apply this energy into an array of rechargeable AA batteries. I see this as a cross between controlling windmill blade rotation and gripping one wheel on a wheelchair to turn. Essentially electric breaking, with a twist, I feel comfortable in the arduino environment, gaining confidence in electronics however I am unsure where to start on this one. Bottom line I would like some direction on how I may digitally control the wheel's rotational speed applying generated electricity to a battery bank?

Thanks for thinking about it.
    Neal

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Look up regenerative braking. That's essentially what you're doing when applied to a pushbike hub motor to extract energy.

3. efan

efan

Jan 16, 2014
    Thanks for the reply Steve. Where my confusion lies, is how or what am I varying that is I would like to use an if statement something like, if x then y I would dictate the x via digital signal, here is where I'm fuzzy, I would like the y associated to x to have say 7 or 8 settings/loads available to the hub dyno. The thought here is to increase the load by successively adding AA batteries.
    So yes regen breaking, variable load?

Thanks, more direction please I have not been able to find the varrng capabilities

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    No need for anything so fancy.

Assuming you want a constant current, a circuit to maintain that through the batteries will automatically increase the load as you add more batteries.

Of course, you also need to know when the batteries are charged so you can stop charging them.

Ask a Question