Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Where to Purchase Transformers

tyler

May 25, 2014
Hello,

I am trying to put together a small proof of concept project. I have located/planned the main components and am now on to finding all required parts. However I have been unable to find a Step-up Transformer that is rated for the voltage/current I require.

The required voltage/Current is rather small. (24VAC in, 40VAC out @ 0.5 AMP). I have searched Digikey.com and Googled my heart out but I must be missing a keyword in my searches.

Is this something that you simply build yourself on a project per project basis?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I assume this is for the mains frequency, 50 or 60Hz.

You could wind a transformer yourself but it is not easy to get a neat result without a mechanical winder. One off specials can be obtained (in the UK) but are expensive.

If you take a 24-0-24V 1A mains transformer and input 24V to one side of the winding, you can get somewhat less than 48V (I guess 42 to 44V) from the complete winding. There would be no isolation and there will be a high voltage on the old unused primary. The transformer will be bigger than one made for the purpose since half the windings will not be used.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You are not likely to find such a transformer because there would be almost no demand for it.

What do you need it for? Maybe there is a better solution (DC-DC converter?)

Bob

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Also you can get transformers with multiple secondaries; you could use one secondary as the input and another as the output. Or you could get an over-rated transformer with a 100VAC or 110VAC primary and say a 48V secondary, and under-drive it and use it in reverse.