Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Where to find scrap electronics?

Jonathan Rullman

Oct 16, 2017
Hi! I was just curious as to where in the US (Illinois / Wisconsin specifically) would be the best places to look for free or possibly discounted scrap electronics for repair or for parts? My local recycling center has tons of great scrap electronics but it explicitly states that scavenging is prohibited and enforced through video surveillance, so that is a major bummer. I greatly appreciate your input, thank you!!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi! I was just curious as to where in the US (Illinois / Wisconsin specifically) would be the best places to look for free or possibly discounted scrap electronics for repair or for parts?

scrap ... infers non-repairable
local computer shops, any other electronics repair shop

Terry01

Jul 5, 2017
You need to move to the UK buddy. At our recycling centre the guy was sound for me to take a couple things to fix/strip for parts. I'm sure ours is supposed to be "no scavenging" too.
Maybe ask at the centre,look for someone who's cool. It'll be the same as most things in life,it's your luck if you talk to someone who's sound or a jobs worth. Explain why you want a couple things to tinker with. Worth a try.
Good luck.

debe

Oct 15, 2011
You need to be friendly with the local scrap man, that's where I get pretty mutch any thing I want. But in return I do repair some od stuff for him in return.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Got a local face(palm)book page or chatroom etc? Putting out a request for 'dud electronics' may get you more than you can cope with!

Word your request politely, NEVER fail to turn up if you say you're going to and acknowledge all replies - even if it's to refuse their generosity.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
In the UK there is an organisation FREECYCLE, did it start in the US?
The main problem is that once you are known to take rubbish, you will not be able to get in your house.

Your local radio club may hold junk sales where good stuff can be obtained at little cost.

If you want to pop over, I can let you have half a dozen computers to take away.:D

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
How about posting "Electronics hobbyist looking for free scrap industrial electronics" on Craig's List? I find the industrial electronics a lot more interesting than all the scrap computer and consumer stuff...not that I turn my back on them. ;)

Ken

Terry01

Jul 5, 2017
Freecycle is awesome! I've had a few things there too. A lady even sent me a box full of circuit boards. I have found that a great way of learning some stuff too.o I google stuff for the data sheet as I strip the boards and actually seeing stuff on the board is better than reading or seeing pictures. It's all free too!! :)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Wow!! Thank you everyone for your input! I will definetly keep a lot of these options in mind.

if you lived closer to me, I have masses of old boards they would have been free for the taking .... just threw a mass into the rubbish last weekend, decided it's time
I started cleaning out the shed. Somehow I have to be ruthless and realise I'm never going to use 1/2 this stuff

Dave

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
Your local electronics components supplier may have a "bargain basket" section, where discontinued or non-moving stock is reduced to clear.
When purchasing some new components for my stock, I discovered this collection of (among others), vintage caps, pots, panel-meters, ganged tuning capacitors, etc.

NMNeil

Oct 3, 2014
Local charity shop.
Many of the 'donated' electronic items are non working.
Be cautious though, a friend went this route and told the charity shop that he wanted the electronic items so he could practice repairing them. The deal was that if they were beyond repair he kept them, if they could be repaired cheaply he did so, and the charity shop could then sell them.
Didn't take long before he was getting phone calls asked if he was the guy who would repair electronic items for free.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Many of the charity shops in the UK will refuse electrical/electronic items due to the necessity for PAT testing..... AFAIAA you aren't allow to sell items without such these days.

Terry01

Jul 5, 2017
More silly rules!

Someone working in a charity shop who prob knows even less than me about electronics can say to k_e or someone similarly knowledgable he can't have an electrical appliance because it will be a danger to him because it does or does not have a sticker on it saying so.
They can't do this because some idiot may stick their screwdriver in it then make a claim against someone else for this silly act.

The world really is going nuts!

:)

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I've been fortunate recently with 'finds' like transistor radios (pre 1970's) that are ripe for restoration which I find are far too nice to scrap for parts. The restoration process is very satisfying too and it's possible to make a healthy profit if you know what to look for and what to do when you find one!

Battery powered equipment doesn't fall under the PAT testing rules....

I used to do this with old valve radios until they stopped it because of the PC-ism but if you ask nicely they may have something 'out the back' that they can't sell but can give away - for which I recommend a suitable 'donation' in return..... you really have to 'talk the talk' and gain some rapport with the shop operators.

Terry01

Jul 5, 2017
I love watching the restoration videos on YouTube. Like you say there's something about watching the older stuff come back to life. I can imagine how it feels to actually do it. I don't know enough yet for that but aim to one day. I wish everything wasn't getting microscopic and still able to be repaired. Most stuff now gets "replaced" instead of fixed.

I watched a thing a couple weeks ago on sky about some of out "Broken" electronics. They were being shipped out to South Africa then stripped for parts and copper. Unbelievable stuff.

o_O