Connect with us

Where to find experts on potting compounds?

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by Klaus Kragelund, May 4, 2006.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Hi

    I wrote this post a couple of months ago (shown at the end below):

    Well - we have evaluated several potting compounds and are in the
    process of testing some of them. But I would like to get some expert
    help on this topic of potting compounds for submersion of electronics.
    We have tried companies in denmark, but none that could give us
    straight answers :-(

    Does anyone know a consulting company or perhaps a unirversity with
    that kind of knowledge abroad (preferable Europe and the US?





    I'm working on a pump that is suspended in water and I need to add some

    electronics to it (not more than 1 meter water level)

    My initial thought was to house the electronics in a sealed
    plastic/rubber enclosure, but someone pointed out that plastic/rubber
    might over time absorbe water and render the electronics un-usable

    Anyone got details of the behavour of plastic enclosures exposed to
    periods of total suspension i water?

  2. Joerg

    Joerg Guest

    Hello Klaus,
    I'd ask larger companies such as 3M that make potting compounds for the
    telecom market (where stuff usually needs to tolerate water):

    This link will probably line-break but it's their Utilities &
    Telecommunication business unit.


    In Denmark you could probably look for larger marine suppliers.

    Regards, Joerg
  3. Glen Walpert

    Glen Walpert Guest

    I would be inclined to drop MG Chemicals from the list of potential
    potting compound suppliers, based on my experience with their
    products, and add MasterBond
    which has excellent technical support, and although they are a US
    company like 3M.
  4. Richard H.

    Richard H. Guest

    Have you tried asking manufacturers of potting compounds for marine use?
    If they don't have your answers, they should be able to offer referrals.

    These guys are global, UK based:

  5. Not specifically a potting compound, but you might try the
    Smooth-on brand polyurethane resins, as I've been meaning to
    after having less success than I hoped for with Polytek.
    The right PU resin is as flexible as you choose and incredibly
    tough - vis roller-blade wheels. Make sure you get one that
    mixes with low viscosity so you can vacuum it and get all the
    bubbles out.
  6. joseph2k

    joseph2k Guest

    do try sci.polymers
  7. Roy L. Fuchs

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Try a product called "CONAP".

    Can't miss. Polyurethane.


    regards, Gerhard
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day