Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Where to find a rectifier that meets these requirments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voltcat

Oct 14, 2020
I am in need of an AC to DC rectifier that meets the following requirements. I've already spent hours looking but I have had no luck, any suggestions?

Input is 480 V 3 phase AC
Output needs to be 120 V Dc at 275 Amps for 33kW of power.
Size matters, the smaller the better. 16 in long by 9 in wide and 9 in tall is the target range.

Thanks!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
That is some serious power levels and I suggest probably not a conventional approach.
Can you supply more details on the overall application.?

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
@Voltcat: Clearly you have no idea what you are doing, much less what you are asking. I suggest you consult with someone who does this sort of thing and is licensed and insured before you either electrocute yourself or cause an electrical fire you won't have any idea how to extinguish.

Three-phase power delivered at the levels you are considering is NOT a job for amateurs. And it will take more than just one rectifier, probably more like six rectifiers plus a three-phase step-down transformer to get the voltage down to 120 V DC from three-phase 480 VAC. Dry transformers rated for the power levels you seek are about two feet wide by two feet deep by two feet high and weigh several hundred pounds. Not something the typical amateur or hobbyist, which is who this site is aimed at, is used to messing with.

It should be possible design and build a three-phase switch-mode power supply that would provide the performance you seek in the volume (size) you suggested, but again, that is no job for an amateur or the typical hobbyist. And these DC power supplies probably already exist on the open market. Make Google your best friend and go find one.

I suggest that a moderator close this thread.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
@Voltcat : As much as we like to help - after all, that's what this forum is all about - I can't but agree with @hevans1944 that this project of yours is most likely above your capabilities. I therefore will close this thread, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.