Connect with us

Where to buy contact pads for silicon buttons?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Berryal, Jan 27, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Berryal

Berryal

Jan 27, 2015
    Hey guys, I've started fiddling with electronics as a hobby recently and I'm doing some stuff with my raspberry pi at the moment, but basically I need to find some metal contacts to use for the buttons from a Gameboy (the kind of contacts used in a game controller) and I would like to find some that come each on its own with two wires coming from them or a place to wire from.

I think I can't find them because I don't really know what they're called, thanks for the help! The contacts I mean are like in this picture but each on a separate piece of board.

[​IMG]

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    usually they are manufactured as a full multi pad layout specifically for a given device
    you would have to go to the manufacturer of your product and see if they can supply spare parts

3. Berryal

Berryal

Jan 27, 2015
    Thanks for the reply! Shame though, can't seem to find something suitable. Also waiting on a pcb I ordered from Germany which is taking agess to ship.

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    no you wont, as the whole rubber pad will be moulded to suit the pcb layout and holes in the casing

5. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    You could MAcGyver it...
    Get your hands on a cheap or obsolete remote control, take it apart, and very carefully with a sharp blade, slice the little black rubber conductive portion from the rest of the moulded rubber keypad. (Kind of like filleting a fish)
    Once both pads have been removed, you can finish the transplant by glueing the new pad on the old rubber membrane.

KrisBlueNZ likes this.
  6. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  7. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
    The best friend for elastomeric contacts is a pencil.
    The graphite can to a point, recoat the 'buttons', and the eraser, clean the etched traces.

If unhappy with the pencil treatment, cut tiny aluminium foil rounds and glue them on top of the carbon pads.

Ask a Question