Connect with us

Where to buy components?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by benbuzz790, Dec 30, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. benbuzz790

benbuzz790

Nov 13, 2014
    Hello all,

I'm looking to buy some simple components... but they aren't at Radio Shack. I'd like to have them tomorrow and don't want to pay an arm and a leg for shipping from Digi-key. Where can I buy electronics components? I'm looking for a brand name, but if you're near DC and know a good store, let me know.

Specifically, I'm looking for a Zener diode (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SMBJ5363B-TP/SMBJ5363B-TPMSCT-ND/1636229). I don't need exactly the one on digikey, but something similar that I can test with.

Thanks

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    you haven't told us where you are
    so impossible to help you ....

3. benbuzz790

benbuzz790

Nov 13, 2014
    I said I'm near DC. I was hoping there was a large national retailer I wasn't aware of. I'm just getting into this.

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    the only other 2 would be Farnell ( Element14) and mouser
    I doubt if any will get you parts overnight at this time of year,
    you have left things a bit late

5. BGB

BGB

Nov 30, 2014
    generally, I have been buying stuff off Amazon...

maybe better is around, but prices are ok for the most part, except that orders go all over the place, so shipping cost is an issue, and it often takes a while for stuff to arrive (several weeks or more, depending on the seller), but it is convenient in some ways...

6. chopnhack

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
    Hi Ben, you won't get it right away, but your best value is probably going to come from E-Bay via China - I got an assortment of zener's for next to nothing delivered. Just had to pay in "time". They were the radial, leaded type. I don't know if you can find an assortment of smt style zener's.

7. 73cat

73cat

Dec 30, 2014
    Use ebay.com , you can buy electronic parts on ebay market. You need paypal or credit card to make transaction on ebay.

8. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    On line sales have pretty much decimated brick an mortar electronics suppliers. I recently went to the only store I can find in the Boston area and it was a big disappointment, hardly better than Radio Shack for components.

On the other hand, Mouser almost always ships my order the same day and I get in 2-3 days via USPS.

If you think about it, the economics make no sense. Many components cost no more than a few cents and you would have to stock 10s of thousands of items to have what a random person would come in for. If you sell that 2 cent resistor for a dollar or more (like RS) people will eventually figure out how much they are over-spending.

Bob

9. benbuzz790

benbuzz790

Nov 13, 2014
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Ask a Question