Connect with us

Where to buy capacitors

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by gransport3800, Feb 14, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. gransport3800

gransport3800

Feb 10, 2013
    Where is a good place on the internet to buy capacitors? I've been looking all over for some 5.3 uf film capacitors and I can't find them in a 5.3 uf.

2. sjgallagher2

sjgallagher2

Jan 27, 2013
    Ebay, Mouser, AllElectronics, TaydaElectronics, just sort of calling out names, hope it helps.

3. sjgallagher2

sjgallagher2

Jan 27, 2013
    Mouser has a 4.7, and a 6.8, how exact do you need this to be?

4. sjgallagher2

sjgallagher2

Jan 27, 2013
    Oh, 5.6uF might be possible but I haven't seen a store that has it.

5. sjgallagher2

sjgallagher2

Jan 27, 2013
    Final answer: probably ebay, sorry for so many short responses

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    5.3uF isn't a preferred value, so you'll have a hard time finding that exact value from a normal supplier. 4.7 or 6.3 uF would be easier. You probably need an X2 rated capacitor for this too.

Where are you?

7. gransport3800

gransport3800

Feb 10, 2013
    I need this capacitor to replace a bad one in a fluorescent light fixture I have. What would a higher rated capacitor do? Would it be better? I have a few of these lights that need to be fixed. I figured it would be cheaper to replace the capacitors than the whole fixtures.

8. john monks

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
    You might have to add two capacitors in parallel such as a 4.7uF and a 0.6uF.
    Just Make sure that the voltage rating on both is equal or greater than the voltage rating of the capacitor you are replacing.

If this is really a resonant type ballast I earlier described you must stick very close to the original capacitance.

If this doesn't work I thing I would simply replace the whole ballast with a magnetic on or a transistor one.

Ask a Question