Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Where can I get a 120V - 33V 6A transformer?

stevebeamer

Dec 6, 2013
EI-96*32

There used to be electrical/electronic parts houses everywhere. Now there are none. R Shack is limited anymore. This is for an automatic pool cleaner. I called the manufacturer but they would only sell me the whole unit.

Anyone have any ideas? And, no I don't want to order 1000 of them from a manufacturer in China.

Thanks.

Steve

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
Do you want 33 V RMS or 33V peak-to-peak (very approx. 24V RMS)?

When I needed a special transformer, i went to Avel Lindberg, and it sold in units of one.
http://avellindberg.com/

John

stevebeamer

Dec 6, 2013
I don't know jpanhalt. I just emailed sales at Avel Lindberg with the info I had the measurements and a picture. This is further than I've gotten so far.

Thanks.

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
Avel Lindberg will not be able to answer your question, if you do not know what you want.

Most mains transformers are specified based on RMS voltage. What are you trying to make?

John

Last edited:

stevebeamer

Dec 6, 2013
I am trying to repair a power supply for an automatic pool cleaner. The transformer has a short. The label on it says Model EI 96*32, In: 115V ~ 60 Hz, Out: 33V ~ 6A. That's all it says. EI is the shape of the core, 96 is how many plates. I don't know what the *32 indicates. The rest is self explanatory but it doesn't say anything about the RMS. Is there another way to tell when the transformer is fried?

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
A specification written like that is almost certainly RMS voltage. Is the construction of the transformer critical to the operation of the circuit?

The E-core transformer is just like you might image. The transformer coils are formed around the leg(s) of the E. Avel Lindberg makes mostly toroids, I believe.

John

stevebeamer

Dec 6, 2013
I don't think the construction is critical just the output voltage and amperage.

I saw the toroids. I sent them an email anyway. Maybe they would know who else I could go to.

Thanks.

dh390

Jul 30, 2013
Parts Express sells a few of those toroid transformers & list specs for them. If I remember correctly they also have a small selection of standard type but don't think they meet the 6A spec, I don't remember the voltages on these. MCM also has some standard type transformers.

Check E-Bay there are several sellers that sell transformers & ones that also sell power transformers for audio power supply projects.

One thing to check is some transformers have a built in thermal fuse or regular fuse. I have repaired a few of these. This requires taking the transformer apart & very careful disection. Not knowing the type or how it is in the unit.

Can you post pics of the transformer?

Last edited: