Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Where Can I Buy a 100w Resistor?

Ed Gallop

Mar 13, 2016
I have an 18v drill charger die and determined it has a bad 100w resistor. It is China made so rather than buy another charger to burn up another resistor I searched for a better insulated resistor. I can't find one. Can someone here point me in the right direction?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
That's a helluva wattage! How many Ohms? What are the charger and battery specs?
Plenty of 100W resistors on sale, such as these.

Ed Gallop

Mar 13, 2016
That's a helluva wattage! How many Ohms? What are the charger and battery specs?
Plenty of 100W resistors on sale, such as these.

There is no information on the charger and I am not very knowledgeable. It has two resistors and I was told to use a 100w by a friend that died last December. The 4 band markings show 2k ohms @ 10% on one and 1k ohms @ 5% on the other. Thanks for the source link. I have an old unused 18v charger and I may just switch the housing to fit the batteries. I am 75 and have not been into electronics in about 50 years.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I have an 18v drill charger die and determined it has a bad 100w resistor. It is China made so rather than buy another charger to burn up another resistor I searched for a better insulated resistor. I can't find one. Can someone here point me in the right direction?

I seriously doubt that it is a 100W resistor
I doubt that physical size of such a beast would fit into the avg charger casing

10W maybe

Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
There is no information on the charger and I am not very knowledgeable. It has two resistors and I was told to use a 100w by a friend that died last December. The 4 band markings show 2k ohms @ 10% on one and 1k ohms @ 5% on the other. Thanks for the source link. I have an old unused 18v charger and I may just switch the housing to fit the batteries. I am 75 and have not been into electronics in about 50 years.

OK ... then I suspect you have been mislead

take some photos of the inside of the charger and of the resistor

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
So, would that be red-black-red-silver bands for one resistor and brown-black-red-gold bands for the other resistor? Most 100 watt resistors I have seen don't have color codes. They just stamp the value on the body because there is plenty of room to do that. And to dissipate 100 watts in the 2 kΩ resistor would require almost 450 V... not too likely to find that in an 18 V drill charger!

As @davenn said: post some pictures. BTW, I am almost 72 and have been in electronics for more than 50 years. Good luck on re-entering electronics! There have been a few changes.

And welcome to Electronics Point!

Ed Gallop

Mar 13, 2016
OK ... then I suspect you have been mislead

take some photos of the inside of the charger and of the resistor

Thanks to all for your helpful input. I believe the 4 band markings show 2k ohms @ 10% on one and 1k ohms @ 5% on the other and obviously not 100w. I was incorrectly told to replace it with 100w.
resistors.jpg

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
The bands look like brown-black-red, which is 1K and brown-black-orange, which is 10K.

They are 1/2 W at most.

Bob

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
The bands look like brown-black-red, which is 1K and brown-black-orange, which is 10K.

They are 1/2 W at most.

Bob
And they appear to be physically in perfectly good condition.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
I doubt that bit of circuitry is much to do with actually charging the battery. It looks more like just an indicator-LED driver. With only 18V as the supply, there's no way a 1k or 10k resistor should pop.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
so may I enquire what is the fault of the charger? charging too high? not charging? light not glowing?
any chance you could send us a pic of the entire innards of the charger, front and back?
how did you determine the resistor was faulty?
what tools are you using to measure this?

I am sorry to ask these questions but we could possibly save this for you depending on what we are looking at

Ed Gallop

Mar 13, 2016
so may I enquire what is the fault of the charger? charging too high? not charging? light not glowing?
any chance you could send us a pic of the entire innards of the charger, front and back?
how did you determine the resistor was faulty?
what tools are you using to measure this?

I am sorry to ask these questions but we could possibly save this for you depending on what we are looking at

Don't be sorry.That is getting to the point.

Ed Gallop

Mar 13, 2016
I started the post and had to leave suddenly. Anyway... There is a transformer that plugs into the wall. The output is 20v DC, 400 ma. I just checked and it is supplying 2.0v to the pictured charger section. My best friend said it had a 20v output but he was dying of cancer (passed on 6 weeks later). He must have been confused and saw 20v when it read 2.0v. He said the resistor was bad and I needed to replace the cheap China resistor with a 100w resistor. Electronics was his specialty. I kept him off dying with distractions like this, and he was sharp to the end, so I was convinced it was in the charger section (battery section). I should have double checked. Sorry for all the confusion I caused in this post.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
so what size battery you charging? the 2.0v would charge an AA battery at best. if you give us pics, then we might be able to help more.
the 2.0v to that circuit will just be used to light the LED, so now we need to see the rest of the circuit.

Ed Gallop

Mar 13, 2016
so what size battery you charging? the 2.0v would charge an AA battery at best. if you give us pics, then we might be able to help more.
the 2.0v to that circuit will just be used to light the LED, so now we need to see the rest of the circuit.

The charger is for an 18v drill battery. The charger transformer (plugs in wall) should provide 20v Dc but the output reads 2.0, so the sealed transformer unit is bad. My friend read it wrong. I assumed it was in the wiring after the transformer (charger housing picture provided) and thought the voltage was not going through to the battery. Bad assumption. I should have checked the output myself and did before my last post. I am purchasing a new transformer to solve the problem. You folks here were very helpful and I do appreciate you taking your time to help me.