Connect with us

When and why would you use a capacitor?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by codoyen, Apr 19, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. codoyen

codoyen

Apr 19, 2017
    Hi all, very new to electronics so bear with me.

I can't seem to get my head around when you would use a capacitor. Now I understand what is does (holds a charge like a battery). but I can't seem to find anything online which give me a real world example.

Could someone give me an example of when you would use one and why?

Thanks

KilgoreCemetery likes this.
  2. Audioguru

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
    A capacitor in series blocks DC but passes AC. If the capacitance is low then it reduces low frequencies but passes high frequencies. Then it is a simple highpass filter.
    A capacitor to ground following a series resistor reduces high frequencies. Then it is a simple lowpass filter.

hevans1944 likes this.
  3. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Capacitors are often used for temporary electrical energy storage. The common photo-flash is a good example. The energy-storage capabilitiy of a capacitor is relatively small, compared to other devices such an electro-chemical battery or a spinning fly-wheel, but it has the advantage of rapid delivery of its stored energy.

Capacitors, in conjunction with inductors, can be used to form resonant circuits and transform impedance for maximum energy transfer from a source to a load.

There are hundreds of other practical applications. Visit this Google results page for links to some of them.

codoyen likes this.
  4. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    Tuned circuits, band pass Filters, traps, phase shift (see 1ph induction motor),
    IOW, multi functions.
    M.

Ask a Question