Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What's this component?

almared

Jan 31, 2014
Hi all, so while working on a broken usb jack on my laptop I managed to break this black part with a white circle on it and which I'm having a hard time identifying.

how to take a screen shot

image upload with preview

The component is located on an audio board which also has three USBs on.

PLZ if you have a clue of what it is let me know,,, thanks all!!

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
A zero ohm resistor. They can be used like jumpers.

John

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
YES, it will work.

However, it can be a bit more difficult to solder small pieces of wire compared to soldering SMD "0" ohm resistors. Although you do not give a scale for comparison, I suspect those may be the 805 size of SMD. If you measure the length, we can tell you for sure.

John

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Confirm by measuring some others and check that they are all shorts.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you're going to use small lengths of tinned wire, bend them into a U shape, then take the tops of the U and bend them at right angles.

Make sure there's a little solder on the pad, then hold the wire in a pair of fine nose pliers whilst soldering one end, then the other.

almared

Jan 31, 2014
Thanks to all of you for the great help! It actually worked and I managed to get the sound back working and I also replaced the broken usb. The soldering didn't come out so nice but who cares. I have taken some pictures and will post here tomorrow cuz I'm dead tired and feel i need to sleep. Btw the old resistor came off the board cuz i spelled some solder over it and it was a big chunk and my soldering iron couldn't melt it so I pulled it off by a pair of clippers and that also pulled a thin wire up to a ln extremely small hole. I used an exacto knife to expose the copper then covered a thin wire with solder then heated the wire itself which immediately connected into the exposed copper... I had to try about three times to get it done correctly but worked perfectly at the end. Thanks again guys and wish there r more ppl like u who take the time to help others in need. Peace!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Well done.

Looking forward to the pictures.