Connect with us

What's the name of this circuit?

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by rhubarbdog, May 16, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. rhubarbdog


    May 15, 2018
    This isn't strictly homework, i'm too old for school and haven't done a college course in years. It fits best here as it's beginner level stuff (it's self supported study).

    I booked out a library book some years ago and found a circuit which is an improvement on this basic 1 transistor circuit. the LED has a harder leading edge and subsequently remains off for more of the time that variable resistor VR1 is decreased

    Attached Files:

  2. Audioguru


    Sep 24, 2016
    As the variable resistor resistance is decreased then the base current in the transistor will increase until the variable resistor and/or the base-emitter junction of the transistor will burn out.

    There is no such thing as "an LED having a harder leading edge". When the transistor's base current is low then its collector current and the LED current will also be low therefore the LED will glow dimly. As the base current is increased by the variable resistor then the base current, collector current, LED current and LED brightness will increase.
  3. AnalogKid


    Jun 10, 2015
    That circuit is called a common emitter amplifier. The single resistor to the base is called dangle-biasing.

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day