Connect with us

What's the name of the round plug at the end of an AC-DC adapter?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Aro2220, Oct 19, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Aro2220


    Oct 19, 2014
    I'm having trouble phrasing this question so the Google hasn't been too helpful.

    Everyone knows it -- it's that little round plug that a lot of electronics devices utilize; laptops, cameras, video cameras...pretty much anything that doesn't use a ton of voltage and isn't using a USB connector.

    I want to know what they are called so I can consider buying some online. I'm also curious how they work (where is the positive and where is the negative terminal?)

    Attached Files:

  2. Aro2220


    Oct 19, 2014
    I think this might be it:

    Small cylindrical connectors come in a variety of sizes. They may be known as "coaxial power connectors", "barrel connectors", "concentric barrel connectors" or "tip connectors".

    Cylindrical plugs generally have an insulated tip constructed to accept insertion of a pin. The outer body of the plug is one contact, most often but not always the negative side of the supply. A pin mounted in the socket makes contact with a second internal contact. The outer plug contact is often called the sleeve, while the inner one is called the tip.

    The most common plugs are 5.5 mm (0.22 in) in outside diameter (OD) and 9.5 mm (0.37 in) in length. Two pin sizes are common in the jacks for this size plug body, 2.1 mm (0.083 in) and 2.5 mm (0.098 in), and the plugs should ideally match. Generic plugs are often named for the pin diameter they are designed to take.
  3. KrisBlueNZ

    KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

    Nov 28, 2011
    Yes, you've got it. I've heard them called DC plugs/sockets and barrel connectors.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day