Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What's the difference between copper/brass power plugs and nickel plated ones?

Habry

May 31, 2015
I bought a surge protector with what looks like copper or brass plugs, not the usual silver-looking what I assume is nickle-plated prongs I'm used to in modern day electronics. Does this really affect anything? Thanks.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Can you take a picture? And show us the unit you have.
Adam

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Habry
welcome to EP :)

I suspect the main reason for the nickel plated ones is that it makes the contacts more durable and less prone to oxidisation.
Its pretty rare to see plain brass ones these days, but yes, they are still around :)

Dave

Habry

May 31, 2015
It's the tripp lite TLP604 and TLP606. I was replacing the surge protectors in my home. There's a pic of the product on amazon. I bought it direct from amazon llc and the packaging looks legit.
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-TLP604-Protector-Outlet/dp/B00006L4F1
They're both exactly the same except one has a 2 foot longer coord (Need it for that one room)

They all work fine, I just didn't understand why they would start making the plugs non-plated when I had bought a TLP604 a couple years ago that is plated. I mean even my lamp from 20 years ago is plated. I guess they're trying to lower manufacturing costs, which is a shame 'cause I would pay the extra 50 cents or whatever to have it. Tripp lite is one of the few companies left with some kind of reputation. Ever hear about those nasty Belkin surge protectors MELTING? ick.

Kind of off topic, the only other difference I noticed is that the newly manufactured ones, on the UL rating, it says relocatable power tap, while the older one's sticker says surge protective device. I don't really understand the repercussions. Even the UL website is confusing and convoluted. They seem to have the same voltage ratings and what not.

mofy

Dec 19, 2014
I prefer the brass. It is self cleaning each time you insert it, resistant to corrosion, brass fittings were common on ships, and not a thin layer as in the plating. I would suggest that the brass model is the more expensive item.

BGB

Nov 30, 2014
I prefer the brass. It is self cleaning each time you insert it, resistant to corrosion, brass fittings were common on ships, and not a thin layer as in the plating. I would suggest that the brass model is the more expensive item.

AFAIK, brass is used as a special purpose conductor in some applications, mostly as it has better mechanical properties and corrosion resistance than copper and aluminum, with a modest loss of electrical conductivity (it is roughly on-par with aluminum).

likewise, it is more resistant against mechanical wear than plate (since, under the brass, is, more brass).

so, it is reasonably good for things like electrical connectors, or in some obscure cases, like sometimes for electrical wiring in marine applications (less issues with corrosion in salty environments than normal copper wire).

IIRC, there is also some applicability for things meant to work in corrosive environments (acidic or caustic), though potting things (typically with epoxy) is apparently also fairly common here.

ADD: a nickel plating on the brass is also fairly common to further improve its corrosion resistance.

Last edited:

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
With the cost of brass, It's doubtful you'll find a power strip constructed with it.

If the UL listing was changed to say "relocatable power tap" I wouldn't have much confidence in its surge protection.

It's certainly good to have some suppression, but If you have a nearby lighting strike, these things are essentially worthless.

BGB

Nov 30, 2014
With the cost of brass, It's doubtful you'll find a power strip constructed with it.

If the UL listing was changed to say "relocatable power tap" I wouldn't have much confidence in its surge protection.

It's certainly good to have some suppression, but If you have a nearby lighting strike, these things are essentially worthless.

could be a nickel or cadmium plating over steel, which may resemble brass (both may appear yellow), but isn't as good.

as for power-strips: yeah, I wouldn't trust them with anything important.

for anything important, an actual surge-suppressor or a UPS is better. a UPS will also protect against minor power disruptions, such as cases where the power fails for a fraction of a second, which are fairly frequent and can get very annoying if trying to run a computer directly off wall power... (though, IME, a UPS may also potentially go berserk and dump, for example, if someone tries to plug in something like a vacuum cleaner on the same circuit as the UPS, so they are hit-and-miss sometimes).