Connect with us

What would happen IF?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Burnmeup, Aug 6, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Burnmeup

Burnmeup

Aug 4, 2014
    Hello everyone,

I want to use my Linear power supply BUT it is a German model. I purchased it when I was in Germany 2 years ago. It is 220v 50hz, without using a step up/down transformer is it possible to run this unit here in the USA without any incident?

Thanks,
    Burnmeup

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    not unless it has a 120V/220V switch on the back of it

you only other 2 choices are ... step up transformer from 120 to 220V
    or replace the transformer inside the PSU

cheers
    Dave

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    edit: Ignore everything I said. It's a linear supply.

Check carefully. The input power might be specified as something like 85 to 265VAC. If so (or if it is a range that encompasses the supply voltage in the US) then you're OK.

oh, this bit's probably OK:

If you have a 220V outlet then you can run it from that too, but I gather they're not common except behind electric stoves etc.

4. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    Best off not using it and buy a 110v rated transformer, finding the correct sized transformer remounting it... the trouble it would cause you..

Another option is to buy a 110 to 240ac transformer just so you can use your german 240v...

Hardly worth the effort or power loss stepping up down and around around!

Ask a Question